Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with a school project...

Status
Not open for further replies.

teebaum

Well heres my problem, im new at electronics so i will start out like this. Im using a ninevolt battery to turn on two leds at the same time (easy). What i need is to syncronize the second led to turn on a fraction of a second later then the first one, but by turning on the same switch. Any ideas? Thanks...

I am a newbie too, so if my idea is wrong pls don't laugh.
Here goes...

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    3.5 KB · Views: 128
Hi teebaum can you tell a bit more about your circuit.After th switch is pressed the first LED lights up & the second LED turns ON after a while.Do you need to stay like that?or how are you going to switch OFF that?or you don't need to switch off?Are you using a push button or another switch?

Please provide more details on what you need.

What exactly are you tring to do? If you want an LED to turn ON and a second LED to turn ON a fraction of a second later I would use a microcontroller.

If you want an RC delay on the second LED? To make it look like it came on later, that is fine as well..

But if you do not know what a capacitor (CAP) is "and" you have it working "(easy)" with a 9VDC battery (you better know what a resistor is).

So please provide more details.

The circuit needs to have a resistor to limit the current in the LEDs.

teebaum said:
What is a cap? Im sorry i have no pics but what is posted above gives a good idea...

Google 'capacitor'. It's a component which can store charge. It takes a certain amount of time to charge, which could be useful to you.

A link which may also be helpful: https://www.answers.com/topic/rc-circuit

Torben

I know what a capacitor is, i just didnt notice the acronym. I have an okay understanding, but what size capacitor would you recomend for this short delay.

arunb said:
a micro-controller is not justified for a simple project like this, you could use 555 instead...

That sort of depends on what you have on your bench. If you have an ICD2 or AVR dragon and a $.50 US 8 pin microcontroller on the bench, it could be.

For a school project you are probably are correct.

The thought was if the person did not know what a cap (capacitor) was, that could be another option.

This application just begs for a PIC10xx or an ATTiny11.

But your professor probably will insist you use resistors and capacitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back