Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with a final project idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gramlengo

Hello, I am currently a 12th class student from Israel, majoring Electronics and Microprocessors.
We are supposed to build a final project till the end of this year, now we were restricted to Wireless communication based circuits (IR, UltraSonic, FM/AM).
The complexity of the projects will be a factor in our final score, I.e if the project is more complex the higher score we get, on the other hand, the projects my not be too complex or too simple.
My project advisor recommended me using some sort of programming added to my electrical circuit, adding a microprocessor (8086/8088) and coding with ASM, or using Altera software and hardware, if anyone has ever heard of it.

I would really appriciate it if someone could pinpoint me toa site that deals with such circuits, or refer me to a specific one, general ideas for the project (with the above requirements) will be also very welcomed, although a schematic design availabe with parts description will be even better on account of us being very time restriced and recommended NOT to design them for ourself.

I am sure I will be helped after reviewing this site content and people posting here.

Feel free to contact me via Email - SniperMyAss*AT*gmail.com (*AT*=@)
Or a different IM prog.

Thanks in advance.

well u might think about trying ur hand at wireless lan. it is quite a challenge.
if u wanna use 8086 then u could make a water level controller ( might sound pretty simple eh). u might wanna use 8051 instead of the 8086.

I'd like that too, but unfortunatly we are restricted to using 8086/8088 architecture.

The wirless lan was one of my first ideas, but I haven't managed to find a circuit schematic for a wireless router or a hub, second, we may not design our own circuit scheme according to the project guidlines.

What's the us/uk equivalent of 12th class?

Since you major in microprocessors, you should have some level of competence with the 808x. Altera's main products are FPGAs. If uPs are programmable software, FPGAs are programmable hardware (logic to be exact). If you do not not know what they are, best to avoid them as they have learning curves that are as steep, if not even steeper than microprocessors.

From now till the end of this year is only 3 months time. Try to be more realistic (emphasize realistic again) with your goals. And forget the idea of building just based on the schematics of commercial devices. Those often contain ASICs, making schematics useless.

Since you need something uP-based, and involving wireless comms, and something realistic, guess this narrows things down by a lot. How about a simple digitally-controlled FM receiver? Or something that interfaces with the handphone for SMS capabilities?

If you have more time, you can dabble into the field of wireless sensor networks. Those have many interesting applications.

Thanks for your reply first of all, now here in Israel the school year had just started, so time is a bit less of a problem.
I have worked with what you refer to as "Programmable Hardware" - Altera, and hace quit a lot of knowledge with it.

P.S
Circuits don't have to be "industrial", there are many free similar project circuits and part index roaming the net... Unfortunatly, they are all based on really simple Reciver Transmiter apps.

u wanted to know about RF id tags i guess.
there are 2 types of RF id tags.
1) Active tags
2) Passive tags
the active tags hav an external power supply that drive them whereas passive tags derive their power from the recieved signal.
the principle goes something like this
-a tranciever sends a signal
-the signal is recieved by the tag.
-the tag has its own signature and sends back a signal.
-this signal is recieved by the transciever and it identifies an object according to that tag.
this can be used in personnel identification.
For eg:- every employee in a company carries access cards.
these card are nothing but RF ids. the signatures are diff dor diff people.
the access rights are programmed in the central main frame system.
whenever a person wants to enter a room he moves his card near a transciever which identifies the person and decides if his access level is high enough to enter that area.
i will need to look up the details if u r interested in making one.

Thanks for the info, if you could find me some more specific info on how-to's that'd be great, I'll search too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back