Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help with a bot project

Status
Not open for further replies.

sal

i am trying to build a small robot like a bot of the bomb squad. but only the wheels that are like the wheels of the tanks. but i am new to this VERY BIG bot world :) and i don't know where to start. can anyone help find the correct direction?? lol :D

Be forewarned- any tracked robot that can be measured in feet means you either have to build it yourself (include the belt and all the little pulleys) which is very mechanically difficult, or you pay a ton of money to get them made, or you pay a ton of money to buy a robot with them on. THe cheapest I have seen for a tracked robot in the size measured in feet.

On the other hand, if you build a robot smaller than a foot (more realistically smaller than half a foot- what I would say desktop size, then there are lots of tracks to choose from! Plus the servos at that size are more suitable for a robot arm anyways and it's easier and cheaper to find suitable drive motors to run the whole thing.

Big and expensive:
http://www.robotcombat.com/marketplace_machinelab.html
http://www.robotcombat.com/marketplace_machinelab.html

SMall and cheap:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

I lied a bit- these are the *only* affordble larger-than-desktop sized tracks that I have found:
**broken link removed**

Then there are "desktop" kits:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

You can also get the tracks in this last link separately. I don't like them though, so I won't say anything about them. And don't try to build anything like this:
http://www.irobot.com/images/irobotdynhp/packbot-eod-mid.jpg

...trust me...I've looked into it lol.

Last edited:
thanks. and i am try to build the bot that is "SMall and cheap" lol because its for a project to show to my university teacher so he can help me build a bigger one. the same size of real bomb squad bot lol

Haha, yeah. Get someone else to pay for the full-sized one. Treads are a major pain to build (or get) when they are big. ANd with little ones, you can also build a properly scaled robotic arm with regular RC servos. To get motors strong enough to drive something like that I-RObot Omni arms is like $2-3k (from my estimates when I was looking into how much torque would be needed).

lol one more thing can you tell me if there is any forum or site that you know is a good "data base" for search schematics or ideas for my first mini bot??
don't need to google it because i did it and i couldn't find anything good.

Well there are a ton of circuits that can be used...why don't you say what you need and I'll tell you what to look for (like specific sensor, motor driver, etc).

i am a newbie on robotics so i don't know where to start and where to finish lol in robotics my knowledge base is very very low = 0% lol
the only thing that i can tell you of my idea is this:
-> i want to build a small 25cm for 15cm bot (with wheels like a tank) to be controled by RC... but don't know how to build it, because it's my first bot?

Well assuming you dealt with the mechanics there are usually 3 basic things:

-controller
-inputs (sensors)
-outputs (motor drivers, servos, displays, etc.)

THat's for autonomous. If you want RC, the inputs and controller become combined since the receiver is the one receiving the radio signals and outputting the control pulses to the motor drivers. CHeck out your hobby store for an RC transmitter and radio receiver. For the motor drivers you can use the speed controllers for RC, or you can go out and build or buy ones used for robots (they are printed circuti boards and stuff).

"Well assuming you dealt with the mechanics" no i deal with electronic that is my major (Engineering of Electronics and Computers). lol

my only concern is, that i don't know how to start building my bot and i don't want to buy a kit because this way i don't build my idea but build a other persons idea. lol

but thanks for the "lesson" lol

sal said:
"Well assuming you DEALT with the mechanics"

Dealt, not deal. The meaning is that you have done all the mechanical preparations and have the chassis sitting in front of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back