Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Help with a 555 timer circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

BManriquez

555Circuit.jpg

I am trying to make a 555 timer circuit (monostable) that will stay high for 5 min once the switch has closed. Based on the math, I am using a 470uF electrolytic capacitor and a 590 ohm resistor in order to reach the desired 300 second mark (1.1 x 590,000 x .000470 = 305 sec), however when I tested the circuit, the output always stays high and never drops. I have heard the electrolytic capacitors have a tendancy to leak charge and can affect the overall timing in a 555, so I swapped out the 470uF and replaced it with a 220uF capacitor to see if there was any difference. Although the high time should have been about half, there was no change and the output never dropped low. I have a feeling I am missing something. Can someone please take a look at the attached circuit diagram and let me know where my error is? Thanks!

Your pin 2 is always grounded. Look at these two versions:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Ken

Last edited:
hi BM,
Look at this option.

Attachments

• AAesp02.gif
    AAesp02.gif
    33.6 KB · Views: 155
Wow, a lot more capacitors than I originally thought. I'll give this a try tonight and see how everything turns out. Thanks, guys!

for long delays suggest using the 7555
as I understand it it is better suited for long delays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back