Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help with 7seg display design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sccs

basically i need help in designing a circuit to take a binary input and convert it to hex and display on 7seg displays...

ne ideas.. thanks.

Why do you need to convert it to hex first?

For a standard seven segment display, there are chips that will convert a binary input to seven segment display, or you can use my 4 bit converter that i designed with just logic gates... the pdf is available here: **broken link removed**

It's a bit unclear what he wants. My initial guess was that he wants to display 0 - F on a single 7-segment display. The DM9368 would do that when it was still made, but apparently it's been discontinued. I searched, but wasn't able to find a replacement part. If you can find one somewhere, get it. Otherwise, perhaps you could get someone to program a PAL or GAL with your required logic? Or maybe program a small PIC to do it? Building it from gates, like in pianoman's diagram, seems like a lot of work and gates for the function it's going to perform. :)

Attachments

• 7seg-hex.png
    7seg-hex.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 811
  • dm9368.pdf
    72 KB · Views: 490
...for the truly insane (me) I have just derived the truth table for an 8 bit binary to decimal converter, and will make a schematic next week for it... the truth table, in excel is 6 pages long....

Attachments

• bin-dec.pdf
    60.9 KB · Views: 403
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back