Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help wif NAND gate

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossu704

i have a problem wif my logic circuit. suppose for logic gate the output voltage should be 5V rite for an input of 5V. but mine gave an output of oni 2.2V.
but d simulation in multisim shows d output voltage to be 5V. somehow wen i tested d circuit on breadboard the output voltage came out as oni 2.2V.

does anyone noe wat might caused d problem.

tenks

You forgot to tell us if the NAND gate is a TTL 7400 or if it is a Cmos 4011.
If it is a Cmos then you forgot to tell us its supply voltage.

You also forgot to tell us its load resistance.

nevermind..i have d solution now..its because of the led i've connected at the output..the led somehow dropped the output voltage to 2.2..

btw i did mention d input voltage is 5V.

I can hardly remember an old TTL gate high output current but I think it can drive a few mA and still be above 3V.

The datasheet for a CD4011 Cmos Nand gate with a 5V supply shows that it can typically supply 4ma to a dead short to ground and will be at 2.2V with a load current of only 3.5mA. A very dim LED. A current-limiting resistor won't make any difference and is not needed.
Its output current is typically 10mA to 20mA with a 10V supply, but its voltage might not be high enough to produce a logic high.

Hi Gramo,
A CD4xxx with a 9V battery for its power supply can directly drive an LED without a current-limiting resistor. The Mosfets at the output of the Cmos device will limit the current to 10mA to 15mA safely. You can parallel a few inputs and outputs from a single IC to increase the current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back