Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help understanding opto-isolation

Status
Not open for further replies.

biomed

I am working on a project about an ICG (impedance cardiography), and the manual I have on this device talks about an opto-isolated serial interface within the devices circuitry. I am wondering what they mean by serial interface? I have a grasp on the opto-isolation part, so could someone please shed some light on this.

A serial interface sends and receives data one bit at a time, one after the other. The alternative is to send and receive many bits at the same time over a parallel set of wires. One wire per bit. If each bit of a parallel interface had to have its own opto-isolator you begin to see the problem.

Serial interface is the means of transmiting the signal, usually to a computer. USB or RS232 amoung others. Since you are building a "medical device" you should (must) power it from batteries to avoid the risk of shock. If you are going to connect the system to a computer, unless the link is done by "opto-insulators", if something goes wrong with the computer you would get shocked by the computer.

biomed said:
I am working on a project about an ICG (impedance cardiography), and the manual I have on this device talks about an opto-isolated serial interface within the devices circuitry. I am wondering what they mean by serial interface? I have a grasp on the opto-isolation part, so could someone please shed some light on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back