Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help to make two doorbells work simultaneously

Anomajaya

Hello everyone,

I'm not an expert on electronics. I have an old analogue doorbell that works directly on 230V AC. And there is another Wifi enabled smart video doorbell as well. The basic idea of my project is to make both doorbells ring when either button is pressed. As the video doorbell is very sophisticated for me to hack, I only could take out two wires from the momentary push button of that bell. Basically, I have extended that button and if I short those two wires together, the video doorbell rings. There is a 2.85v (DC) voltage in between both these wires.

I tried to synchronise both systems using two relay modules but failed. I’m attaching the wiring diagram herewith. Once I press the old system switch, it rings both systems. But, when I press the Video doorbell, it does not trigger the 3v relay module and hence the old electric doorbell. Once I press the video doorbell the indicator led in the 3v relay module lights faint and beyond that nothing happens. I know this is very primitive work and please bear with me as I’m no expert on this.

If any of you could help me in this regard, that would be highly appreciated.

Thanks heap.

Attachments

• Both systems.png
    Both systems.png
    76.9 KB · Views: 111
  • What I designed.png
    What I designed.png
    322.6 KB · Views: 107
You can't put the two bell pushes in parallel and drive a 3 V dc and a 230 V ac system from the pair, but I think that you had worked that out.

Also you can't make the 3 V dc system operate the 230 V system, at the same time as making the 240 V system operate the 3 V system. That is because as soon as one system operates, it will operate the other system, and the other system will operate the first and then both will stay operated for ever.

I would put a guard over the button on the smart doorbell to stop anyone operating it. I would put a second 230 V bell push in parallel with the first, and near the smart doorbell, with a notice to tell callers what to press.

I would then put a 230 V relay coil in parallel with the 230 V bell. The wire the NO (normally open) contacts across the two wires you have pulled from the smart doorbell.

That should be all you need to do. Either bell push will operate the bell and the relay, and in turn that will operate the smart doorbell.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back