Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help to make a Stolen Car Locator

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdaroga

hi guys,
im making a stolen car locator. i plan to do this by using transmitters hidden inside a car which can be activated by the user if he feels his car is stolen. these transmitters will be using the existing cellular network (ie the mobile network that we use for communication). This will help me track the location of the car as to in which area it is located and can be found in that area.
What i need to know is how do i make a transmitter that can be interfaced with a sim card or use cdma technology for the above purpose.
Please help i tried searching for this but couldnt find anything related. Any help will be appreciated.

hdaroga said:
hi guys,
im making a stolen car locator. i plan to do this by using transmitters hidden inside a car which can be activated by the user if he feels his car is stolen.
You will need to have a mobile phone installed on the car in order to receive the activation command from a user.

Another simplier method is to have a circuit that activates the transmitter automatically if the person driving the car is not the owner. i.e. The owner knows how to disable the transmitter when he gets in.

hdaroga said:
these transmitters will be using the existing cellular network (ie the mobile network that we use for communication).

What better transmitter can you get than a normal mobile phone.

hdaroga said:
This will help me track the location of the car as to in which area it is located and can be found in that area.
What i need to know is how do i make a transmitter that can be interfaced with a sim card or use cdma technology for the above purpose.
Please help i tried searching for this but couldnt find anything related. Any help will be appreciated.

The GPS method suggested by Nigel is the way to go. A microcontroller obtains the position data from a GPS, then emulate the keypress(or directly input to) of a mobile phone to send yourself a text message with the car's location.

just make a transceiver. Just make sure you are not transmitting on a frequency prohibited by your country's government.

all you have to do is make sure the "alarm deactivation" button is on your transceiver. When you press the button, it sends the signal to the transceiver to turn it's alarm off.

If it is on, and someone opens the door, then the transceiver in the car sends out a tone to yours and then you can go chase the intruder.

Here's the interesting part. They have no clue what is going on, and if all the lights are off in your home, they probably think they get an easy ride.

By the time they figure out how to turn the ignition on, you would have already captured him. :wink:

The GPS idea did occur to me but it might turn out to be way too expensive. I want a cost effective solution for this prob.
Anyways i also wanted to know, how do i detect a keyless entry in a vehicle. i planning to make a motion detector, could anyone help me with that too.

maybe you could use the thingy the A-team used in the series. somikind of a bug or something like that and a reciever. however i have no ide how it works.

How bout you use the mobile phone network to activate the transmitter. Then the transmitter transmits on say CB frequencies, which will give you lots of range. Then you track the CB signal. Maybe you could even have the CB transmitter have a recording telling truckers the license plate, color of the car, etc so that truckers will keep an eye out for it, and offer a reward.

well guys i came up with this idea.
Here in india we have the cellular network that uses gsm.
Service providers here can tell which Base Station will be serving a mobile unit. im planning to make use of this info to relay the location of the car.
I'll be using a mobile as a transmitter. my only task now is to switch on the mobile when the theft has taken place. any idea how do i do it. I want a sophisticated electronics way of doing this.
secondly how do i recharge the batteries. i need circuits for adapters that convert the car high dc voltage to a lower value ( i'll specify the values i havent seen the battery of my car ).
3rdly how do i detect a keyless entry in the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back