Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help to design a circuit for a auto door opener for chicken coop

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOM01974

Im making a auto door opener for my chicken coop, It must run from low power so 4 AA batterys would be good i need a timer so it can power a motor at 8am everyday to open the door and a push button to revert the power so the door closes, the motor would have a spool on it to wind the door up and down using string. the door weighs around 2-3 kilos (maybe less) any help for a circuit design, i could go buy one but thay are alot of money for somthink that could cost alot less to make.
also it going to sit inside a waterproof box.
any help would be welcome

Last edited:
Can you post a link to a unit you've found that you think is too pricey?

Hi DOM01974,

I guess what you have found is just the "black box" for the coop. It doesn't seem to contain any mechanics.

Here is a simple mechanical solution.

Use single steel rods (bike spokes will do it perfectly). Bend them circular and attach them to the horizontal steel bar using spacers of copper pipe.

Each rod should move independently making passage for the chicken easy.

Depending on the desired function you might lock the chicken in, out or both using locking bars at the bottom of the device. They might be driven by solenoids.

You might think about purchasing a programmable timer switch offering two channels for on and off independently. They are available at electric suppliers.

Boncuk

thanks boncuk but dont think that realy helps as im looking for a timer and some sort of pully system unless iv missed somthink on your post ill build what u have shown and get back to you :D i realy dont want to get up early in the morning so a auto opener to pull the door of the coop upwards at 8am to let the hens out, as u can see in these photos the motor pulls the string to allow the door to go up or down
View attachment 60966 View attachment 60967

Last edited:
also heres a vid of this unit in operation
[video=youtube_share;LXfpezGhGW0]http://youtu.be/LXfpezGhGW0[/video]

I don't see any advantage of a sliding gate, but risks for the survival of chicken.

Assuming the gate has already been closed with one chicken getting home late it will have to stay outside and might fall victim to a fox or a marten.

Chicken don't return home after dark if there is sufficient artificial light (street lights, etc.) making them "think" it's still day.

(That's the reason why chicken are being raised in a lighted environment 24 hours per day, making them eat all day and night long to grow faster for meat production and profit.)

Just give it a thought.

Boncuk

i want to close manuly boncuk just want a system to open the door at 8 am every day i can get the chickens all in at night

No problem with my mechanical design.

Just lower the lock-out bar to unlock the exit.

Boncuk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back