Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Help: Replacing gamepad buttons for pushbuttons

Status
Not open for further replies.

willv

Hi,

Is it possible to replace these buttons that were inside my old pc steering wheel for some pushbuttons? And how do you call this type of buttons?

photo (1).JPG

I am trying to use the button connections of the wheel as a midi controller for Guitar Rig. I can control guitar rig with the wheel, I just need to connect the pushbuttons instead, so I can make my "version" of this (without inputs or outputs).

Thanks,
WV

Last edited:
You just need to wire across the PCB pads, the conductive rubber buttons simply short across the pads. However, you can't solder to the pads as they are coated, you need to follow the tracks back and solder to the joints there.

Well I really don't know where to connect the pins on the pushbuttons. As the buttons have to be stomp buttons (foot controller), they have 6 pins. The rubber buttons only have 2 cables going out. How should I connect them?

Maybe I'm not using the appropriate switches... Any suggestions?

No idea, but here it is:

Hi,

Is it possible to replace these buttons that were inside my old pc steering wheel for some pushbuttons? And how do you call this type of buttons?

Attachment

I am trying to use the button connections of the wheel as a midi controller for Guitar Rig. I can control guitar rig with the wheel, I just need to connect the pushbuttons instead, so I can make my "version" of this (without inputs or outputs).

Thanks,
WV

Well I really don't know where to connect the pins on the pushbuttons. As the buttons have to be stomp buttons (foot controller), they have 6 pins. The rubber buttons only have 2 cables going out. How should I connect them?

Maybe I'm not using the appropriate switches... Any suggestions?

How about posting a picture of the switches you have? - presumably you would just use two of the connections - but if a stomp switch has six connections I would presume it's a DPDT switch, and latches (probably no use to you at all).

You're right, it is a DPDT and it's not what I need. Probably I need one of these.

To replace, for example, S3 with one of these I have to connect the pins to these two places right? (see the photo)
IMG_7032.JPG

You're right, it is a DPDT and it's not what I need. Probably I need one of these.

To replace, for example, S3 with one of these I have to connect the pins to these two places right? (see the photo)
View attachment 75428

Yes, that's correct - but there's no need for such a hefty switch, but presumably it's a question of fitting your stomp pedal?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back