Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

hho

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and would like some advice if that is possible.
Everyone here has been so helpful to others that I thought I would post my problem and see if I could get help.

Here's my problem...I would like to take the voltage coming out of my car battery which is at about 13.8 vlots and reduce it down to a constant 2 volts DC, but i need to have adjustable amperage from 2 amps up to 30 amps.
It also has to remain reasonably cool and not generate much heat of its own because it will be placed in the engine compartment of the vehicle which is usually very hot on its own.

I have some very basic electronics knowledge and this seems like a simple problem but I don't have any resources that I can turn to for this type of information.

Thanks in advance for all the folks who take time out of their day to help.

hho

hho said:
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and would like some advice if that is possible.
Everyone here has been so helpful to others that I thought I would post my problem and see if I could get help.

Here's my problem...I would like to take the voltage coming out of my car battery which is at about 13.8 vlots and reduce it down to a constant 2 volts DC, but i need to have adjustable amperage from 2 amps up to 30 amps.
It also has to remain reasonably cool and not generate much heat of its own because it will be placed in the engine compartment of the vehicle which is usually very hot on its own.

I have some very basic electronics knowledge and this seems like a simple problem but I don't have any resources that I can turn to for this type of information.

Sorry, but it's not really simple, and you don't give enough information - EXACTLY what are you trying to do? - I get the horrible feeling it's yet another madcap hydrogen scheme?.

Finally a post I can answer! Trying to get 2 volts for a hydrogen cell this way is a waste of time. You need to use 7 plates (6 cells) spaced about 1-2mm apart in order to get each cell operating at about 2 volts. (actually, the spacing will determine how much electrolyte you will need to up your current...the closer they are the less amount of electrolyte you will need) Your current will be based on the amount of electrolyte in water. Try adding a little at a time and use an ammeter to see how much current your drawing.

Its possible to provide only 2 volts to your single cell design but you would also get 1/6 the gas output as a similar container with the 6 cell design. Doing it this way also does away with need for a voltage regulator. The odds are you don't have a crazy amount of free space in your engine bay which pretty much says "its not feasible to use 6 containers to generate the same gas output as 1" If your cell is overheating this is the best way to go.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back