Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help on wiring 2 illuminated rocker switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nox118

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and would like to seek advice on the wiring connection for ac illuminated switch
this link: **broken link removed**

I'm intended to control control a lamp with SSR (240V AC) and to have an illuminated switch on the supply side and another at the end of the lamp.

The purpose for the first switch is to turn off the supply and 2nd switch is to simulate the load cut off (for prototype).

I'm able to have the first switch illuminated based on ON and OFF condition and no way to illuminate the 2nd switch.

Can someone please help on this? this is the circuit diagram --> https://tinypic.com/r/2ngu6hi/8

thanks.

Welcome to the forum.
I think to do what you want you need to apply the switched live to the side of the neon that is normally going to the load, so that the neon comes on when the load is on, irrespective of whether the switch itself is on or off, assuming I understood what you meant.

Last edited:
Hi dr pepper, thanks first on your kind reply.

I knew how to wire up the 1st switch.

Pin 1: Hot wire
Pin 2 (center): connect to load
Pin 3: neutral.

For 1st switch (to switch ON/OFF 240V AC supply), my connection is as below.

Live wire (240V AC) -> Switch Pin 1
Pin 2 -> connect to lamp
Pin 3 -> connect to neutral

In this way, the switch will illuminate when ON only.

The issue came only for 2nd switch which is place after the lamp. I do not know how to get the switch illuminated when turn to ON position (close circuit) and not illuminated when turn to OFF position (open circuit) --> this is with condition the 1st switch is at ON position.

At the moment my connection for 2nd switch is as below.

Lamp wire -> Pin 1
Pin 2 -> SSR terminal
Pin3 -> neutral

The switch will work but not the neon light which i guess is due to the potential different btw Pin 1 and neutral which is not 240V AC.

Sorry for the lengthy explanation but i hope it clear the thing up.

Thanks.

Am I right in saying that you want switch 2 to light up in the on position only, ie not when the lamp load is on just when switch 2 is on.
I dont think you can, you need a dpst switch for that, you could use the second pole to illuminate the neon in the switch, that way power is not going to come from the lamp load and light the neon.

Hi dr pepper, yes i would like to use the 2nd switch to demonstrate the open circuit (eg when lamp failed opened) while supply is still ON.

So it is not possible in this case? If dpst switch is able to achieve that, could you help on the wiring?

Thanks.

Yes probably however I still dont htink I get it.
Can you spell out the different circumstances and what should be lit.
Ie, sw 1 on, sw 2 off, lamp open neon 2 on etc.

Hi dr pepper,

Scenario 1:

SW 1 on (mean AC supply is on) - illuminated light stay on
--> SW 2 on (close circuit, lamp is on) - i wanted illuminated light to stay on
--> SW 2 off (open circuit, lamp is off) - i wanted illuminated light to off

Scenario 2:

SW 1 off (mean AC supply is off) - illuminated light off
--> everything else is off

Ok then so you want S1 to be main power and its neon indicate main power is on regardless of anything else.
S2 you want to be supplied by S1, so that when S1 and S2 are closed the load lamp is on.
And you want S2's neon to indicate when load lamp is actually lit (taking into account bulb failiures).

You need some additional circuitry for that, to sense the load current of the load lamp, if the load lamp is drawing current then turn on the neon indicator for Sw2.
This requires some electronics I did a quick search butcouldnt come up with anything, there may be a simpler(ish) way of doing it with a relay,maybe someone will be along soon with an idea.

Edit: you could if it suits your requirements wire the circuit so that the neon indicates that the load lamp is healthy when the load lamp is off, so when the load lamp is off and the filament isnt open the neon would be on.

Last edited:
hi dr pepper, u're absolutely correct.

I'll take ur suggestion into consideration as my original idea is not feasible.

You're extremely helpful. thanks a lot.

Your welcome.

I have seen a reasonbly simple circuit that lights a indicator when a filament lamp has failed, I think it was for a glider plane club or something like that, but i cnat find it now.

Nox118 probably has found a solution by now, but the simplest method of sensing current to a lamp bulb is to wrap several turns ( as many as will fit ) of the wire around a reed switch. The turn on surge will close the contacts and the steady state current will be enough to keep them closed. When the bulb burns out the contacts will open.

Volvo did just that on cars up to the mid 90's for blown bulb detection, but wouldnt you need a special reed sw for ac?

I'm sure it can be done, you'd just need a reed sw with magnetic but non magnetised contacts, ie would pull in with either north or south.

I have an open frame relay I am considering taking apart to conduct some experiments. I determined it requires about 20 amps per turn to close; not very high sensitivity. Busy with other things so I may not do more soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back