Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help on some cheap ways to control dc motors with a rc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboticinfo

Need help on some cheap ways to control dc motors with a rc
transmitter

Want to control 2 dc motor's at 1 amp each and want to use a rc like in remote control cars and want something similar to the motor mind c.

**broken link removed** reciever
**broken link removed** transmitter

Re: reply

GTAman said:
Thanks, but do you know if this circuit works?

They look to be the type os systems used int he really cheap radio controlled toys you get, not a 'proper' RC system.

I presume you're looking for something to give 'tank' like controls from a standard radio control transmitter? - this is called 'differential steering', PIC's are commonly used to interpret the receive side and generate the required PWM for the motors.

I thought it was called skid steering??

meh, i think they achieve this with a single high power motor. The differential then distributes the torque into both sides of the tank. Now to make it steer simply apply a braking force to one side and all the extra power is now applied to the other side of the drive train nifty ey??

The only problem is that both sides cant turn at the same time in opposite directions.

Yes that is exactly what I am talking about, but what is the best motor controller to go with.

I am responding to Nigel

pike said:
I thought it was called skid steering??

Same thing!.

meh, i think they achieve this with a single high power motor. The differential then distributes the torque into both sides of the tank. Now to make it steer simply apply a braking force to one side and all the extra power is now applied to the other side of the drive train nifty ey??

The only problem is that both sides cant turn at the same time in opposite directions.

For robots and models it's almost always done with two motors, one for each side. With two h-bridges and suitable software it makes it simple to drive, including turning on the spot.

Re: reply

GTAman said:
Yes that is exactly what I am talking about, but what is the best motor controller to go with.

I am responding to Nigel

You need two h-bridges, plus a suitable micro-controller, the PIC16F876 is a good choice, as it has two hardware PWM channels.

GTAman said:
A home made h-bridge would work wouldn't it
something like this
it is a mosfet

That's the sort of thing, there are lots of discussions on these forums about h-bridges!.

BTW, posting a .DOC file isn't really a very good idea, it's over 1mB in size, for a picture that's probably only 20kB!.

Thanks

also I had to go
so I just uploaded the file and didn't have the file on anything else so I had no choice but to put that one.

sorry.

Nigel Goodwin said:
For robots and models it's almost always done with two motors, one for each side. With two h-bridges and suitable software it makes it simple to drive, including turning on the spot.

Not if your running 31cc petrol/gas engines :shock: :twisted: !!

Nigel was refering to dc motors
which I indicated at the top of this page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back