Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help on project

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianmay27

Ok, so my brother insists i make him a rapid firs ps3 controler. i realy dont want to pay for a kit when i know i can make one.

here is the layout of the ps3 controler. I have a 5V input and a ground. then also for the "trigger" there is 2 connectors that just need to have a connection to fire (dont know the term but if you were to touch the two together it would fire) so the idea is to be able to have a new push button that will start the rapid fire. i was thinking it could be dont with transisters, resisters and capacators. but that is as far as i got. can someone come up with an idea?

thanks, howerver im a noob at this stuff and if you can can you tell me how it would go together. also is the 74HC... common? like can i find it at frys? also i searched and found this **broken link removed** is one of thoughs the 74HC? if not do you know what they are?

well let me try to take a wak at this. So on the 555 timer:

Ground goes to pin 1 and the 5V goes to pin 8. Then you have a emp switch followed by a 200,000 ohm resister connected to the +5V then connected to a 1 uF capasitor. the capasitor negitive term is connected to the ground and then the possative goes to the trigger (pin 2). Im not sure what to put for the reset. but then the output (pin 3) goes to (im guessing here i can not find much info) pin 13 on the 74HC. ground to pin 7 and +5V on pin 14. Then pin 1 and 2 are the switch on the controler.

now back to the capasiter and resister, i looked on a site and i think that combo should equate to a .2 sec fire rate. is this correct?

i hope i got it all right. like i said i think i need something on the reset but i dont know what it would be.

well let me try to take a wak at this. So on the 555 timer:

Ground goes to pin 1 and the 5V goes to pin 8. Then you have a emp switch followed by a 200,000 ohm resister connected to the +5V then connected to a 1 uF capasitor. the capasitor negitive term is connected to the ground and then the possative goes to the trigger (pin 2). Im not sure what to put for the reset. but then the output (pin 3) goes to (im guessing here i can not find much info) pin 13 on the 74HC. ground to pin 7 and +5V on pin 14. Then pin 1 and 2 are the switch on the controler.

now back to the capasiter and resister, i looked on a site and i think that combo should equate to a .2 sec fire rate. is this correct?

i hope i got it all right. like i said i think i need something on the reset but i dont know what it would be.
hi Brian,
Can you post a drawing.?

well i hope you can see this well enough

**broken link removed**

uhh not realy

i think you still don't have the whole consept in your mind

try first to put idea in a block schematic (2 blocks) timer and switch

than have a look at the 555 datascheet (try various manufactors) and study the way the several configurations of the ic and the pick the one you need

than look at the data sheet for the 4066 and combine

sucses

Robert-Jan

ok, yeah im compleatly new at this. my traning is takeing stuff apart an seeing what works. So last question i think of the nite. Is the 4066 a common component? like can i find it at frys?

The 4066 ( and the very similar 4016 ) are common components yes. However, I have no idea whom or what " Fry's " is.

Edit:
**broken link removed**
FRYS.com | I.C's Passives / Expaned IC's

Yes, you can get it at Fry's.

Last edited:
ok, so i got both the 555 and the 4066 and the 4016 (just in case i have a feeling i may blow one out) and im stuck. I got a 555 with a typical application layout but i tried it and looked at it with my ossiliscope and did not see anything. can someone help me with this

also with the 4066, is it ment to be extreamly small? i thought it would be the kind i can plug into a bread board.

ok, so i got both the 555 and the 4066 and the 4016 (just in case i have a feeling i may blow one out) and im stuck. I got a 555 with a typical application layout but i tried it and looked at it with my ossiliscope and did not see anything. can someone help me with this

also with the 4066, is it ment to be extreamly small? i thought it would be the kind i can plug into a bread board.

do you have SMD components or a DIL (dual in line package) for your 4066???

a SMD version is not possible to put on a bread board

and also can you post the layout of the PS3 controller as you mentioned in your first post??
is it the intention that the rapid fire only works when the button is pushed in at the same time??

Robert-Jan

well i got the only one they had which i guess is the smd by the looks of it. but do they sell dil versions?

also here is the layout. **broken link removed** i hope it is good enough. its not my image just fyi. And last, yes i would want it to only rapid fire when the button is pressed but i would put my own switch in.

did you try already if it works if you put your push button between the 2 contacts that you nominate already for the rapid fire

maybe it works already without any IC ?

Robert-Jan

no, if you short the two contacts it just fires once. shorting them is the equilvlence to pressing the button so i want the ic to switch quickly enough it fires fast

ok i get the full picture now

is it the intention that you build the aditional componets in the controlor consol self ?

Robert-Jan

Ok try this site (have problems of making the link)

**broken link removed**

here you find all sorts of configurations for the 555 you want to use the basic astable oscilator circuit

on the out put of the 555 you conect the controll terminal from the 4066 swich and the switch contact you conect with the points on your controller board
off course you need to conect the power and ground to the IC

sucsess

Robert-Jan

wow, looks great! thanks.

also do you have any guess what you think the responce rate on the controller is? i want to make there be as many fires as i can get but make it so it can still see the trigger fireing

Last edited:
ok so i need help. I set up the 555 switch like you said but now im faceing a problem. I set it up with 2 10k resisters and a 10 MF capasator which should have a .13 high time and a .06 low time so im looking at it through my ossilascope and i plug a 9V battery into it and it is fast at the beginning (still it is only like a up of 1 and a down of 1 but then it gets slower. about 5 high and 5 low. What is wrong. my battery is reading 8.5V so it should be good if the 555 needs 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back