Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help on LED's Messege Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

awaismqsd

Well guys i am about to design a still messege display via LED's..
Actually i wanna do is to pass a string from computer using Turbo C++ and then want to display it on Led's..
will any body help me..??
and plz tell me that is it possible to design this without using microcontrollers...
Actually i didnt come to microcontrollers yet in my university course.

yes it could be done without microcontroller... sending your data to the serial COM port of your PC, using a serial-to-parallel circuit. and it should work. Some Shift register could do the job. Using the TX pin for your data and use the DTR pin to refresh your display. Same thing could be done using the parallel port (LPT).

It's also possible to use some 'ready to go' LED display driver ICs from Maxims wich work with the I2C bus. There's some routine 'round the web that use the Parrallel port (printer) or the Serial (COM) port for that.

mister_e said:
yes it could be done without microcontroller... sending your data to the serial COM port of your PC, using a serial-to-parallel circuit. and it should work. Some Shift register could do the job. Using the TX pin for your data and use the DTR pin to refresh your display. Same thing could be done using the parallel port (LPT).

It's also possible to use some 'ready to go' LED display driver ICs from Maxims wich work with the I2C bus. There's some routine 'round the web that use the Parrallel port (printer) or the Serial (COM) port for that.

Would u plz guide me a more....i mean links if u know...???

sure i could, have you already wrote/tested a routine to write to the LPT port (wich i guess will be easier to do the whole thing)?

mister_e said:
sure i could, have you already wrote/tested a routine to write to the LPT port (wich i guess will be easier to do the whole thing)?

yep i have made it but with simple 7 display segment

do a google search for Display Multiplexing, this should give you some hints

i talked about Maxims.. have a look to those
max6954
max6955

now try to find a I2C or SPI routine, you should be in business.

mister_e said:
do a google search for Display Multiplexing, this should give you some hints

i talked about Maxims.. have a look to those
max6954
max6955

now try to find a I2C or SPI routine, you should be in business.

thanx a lot,,, but dont u think think it needs demultiplexing instead of multiplexing..???

Last edited:
in this project i am using shift register only ,but, i couldn't to reach my goal,so please help me to further improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back