Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help on Infrared LEC......

Status
Not open for further replies.

umliu37

hi guys, i need some help with my robot project ......so here is the issue i facing now :

. I need to drive a Infrared LED, .. and the LED works when it under the defaul testing conditions list on data sheet.

But i need to drive the LED by the Microcontroller pins, but the pin has a very smaller output voltage and current than the default LED testing condition.

If i use an Op-AMp to amplify the pin output , that might works , but another drawback is the 741 Op--AMp need a +15 and -15 power supply ,maybe the battery will increase the weight of my robot ........ so is there any other approach i can amplify the signals????

BTW, anyone can tell me if not the Square wave can be amplified by Op-amp???

thanks for any helps ..

A transistor according to the common emitter configuration for switching purposes.
Square waves don't need to be amplified with op-amps if they come from the PIC. You can use a transistor also for this purpose.

A transistor according to the common emitter configuration for switching purposes.
Square waves don't need to be amplified with op-amps if they come from the PIC. You can use a transistor also for this purpose.

thanks for your advices ,,, i will try

BTW, did the transistor power supply Vcc, has to be 15 v ??? I think it could be 5V regular .

switching on a IR LED? yeah.. 5V regulated is good enough for moderate ranges.. My friend's reached half a meter. You can add the range using lens if you want.

i just thought that if i use NPN transistor , it has Vbe = 0.7 v ,as the turn-on voltage. Howerver, my output voltage from MCU is only 0.2V.....

so i still need an amplified input voltage for turing on the transistor first..........

That doesn't seem right. I could buy a voltage threshold of .2V for a logic one on an input but not .2V output voltage. A transistor will work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back