Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help on a switch of some sort

Status
Not open for further replies.

browningbuck

i have a project where there is a constant on,a temparary higher voltage supply(like a brake light assembly)...then i have a 555 timer i want to control another set of lights. My question is how do i create a circuit that turns off the (brake light system) when the 555 timer is on, then turns the system back on when the 555 timer is swiched off. the way the 555 timer is turned on and off is by a normal throw switch. sorry for the noob question couldnt figure out anything by my friend "search"

Controlling lights from a 555 is easy - just use a relay. But I'm confused about what you mean by "the 555 timer is turned on and off with a normal throw switch." Do you want to do something like the "Relay Toggle Circuit Using a 555 Timer" circuit on this page?

**broken link removed**

im soryy i am a hobbiest at best and have a difficult time conveying my idea due to the ingnorance in termenology. but what i want is to figure out a way to turn off a electrical curcit when another circuit is turned on(555) so the throw switch would be in line with pins 4 and 8 on the 555,which when thrown will turn off a constant light, and another set of lights will will come on controlled by the 555 , then when switch is turned off the constant light comes back on and the 555 no longer has power.

i will try and throw up a diagram of the two circuits

You mean they alternate? As in one set is on and the other is on? if so you want a 555 inverter. This is very easy to do. Go here for info about how to do it. Should help you with anything else you need. Go to the Inverting buffer part.

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/555timer.htm

**broken link removed**

i dont want it to be a mechanical switch that turns off the power to the constant on, just an override of some sort that doesnt allow power to the constant wen the 555 is on

Last edited:
lets also include a pic, i want the red off when the manual switch is thrown to turn the blues on(555 yes they are blinking), and then when the manual switch is turned off the blues go off and the reds come back on
**broken link removed**

Would this work? I'm assuming pin 3 of the 555 is an active high control for the blue array. NC means not connected.

Attachments

• dpdt.png
    dpdt.png
    952 bytes · Views: 172
so you want the 555 circuit to turn off, when you have another circuit going? if so, a simple microswitch has that feature

okay so the only thing i am missing in this pic is the manual swich on the blue array.

so imagine this is a motorcycle or car brake/running light (red) it is always on, then you flip a switch that is connected to the blue array that turns the flashing on, so that the blue isnt washed out by the red, i need something that turns the red off. i am so sorry that i cant ask this question correctly :)

oh and pc88 im not sure if thats what you posted but i guess i can try it ...just need to be able to understand it, could you explain it i n idiot form for me, i just got into creating the 555 so iam stupid in EE stuff

Hook up a DPDT switch like in the diagram below, and you'll see how it works. You're controlling two circuits with one switch. In the "up" position, only the LED on the left will light up. In the "down" position only the the LED on the right will light up.

Attachments

• dpdt2.png
    dpdt2.png
    938 bytes · Views: 175
okay, yes that would work, BUT is there a curcuit out there that can do the same thing. i want this to be electronically controlled. is it possible? i like the "if then" idea of it.

Do you mean you want the DPDT switch to be controlled by another electronic circuit? There are DPDT relays you can use.

But it sounds like your application is going to have a switch that is activated by the user, so why not just have them activate the DPDT switch directly?

why can't you use a dpdt switch?

okay so the red is hard wired in to the bikes system, i do not want to cut the wire, rather just connect the 555 and relay or what ever to it , i understand that that switch would be the easiest method, but all i want is one wire coming from the 555 to a single throw switch, then i can connect the other end to a power source.

this whole system, red, blue, 555, and relay(what ever it is i use) will all be in a very compact area. not that this matters, but just so you know. i can beilive that the only solution in the world of electronics is this switch.....i thought that there would be a simple little gate or something, or relay, that could do this with out a problem

I don't think you can accomplish what you want to do without splicing something into your brake light circuit, and this will mean either cutting a wire or desoldering something.

Now, if you only want two wires going to your activation switch, just have the switch activate a DPDT relay. Relays can be very small, and they're used all the time in automotive applications.

Yes, a DPDT relay will work like that. Just hook it up like I diagrammed in my second posting of Aug. 14th. The relay will have two other connections for the coil. When current flows through the coil, the switch contacts will move from their "up" position to their "down" position. A spring will restore the switch contacts to the "up" position if current stops flowing through the coil.

Just get yourself a DPDT relay that has a clear case so you can see what's going on inside - that should clarify a lot of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back