Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help!! Need Substitute for U16C40A,C

Status
Not open for further replies.

tundrawolf

Hello,

I have an inverter and I need desperate help. I damaged both the U16C40 ultra-fast switching rectifiers, but cannot find a source for either one! I desperately need a substitute that is available in the US.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

Dave

Only you know what you meant by "slightly lower response time". Maybe you could just tell us the proposed substitute instead of forcing us to guess.

OK sorry, I found this MURB1660CT, which has the same specs, and is available, but it looks like it comes with the two cathodes connected, the U16C40"A" has the two anodes connected.

The MUR1620CTR-D would work except for a 400 volt less power handling. "Common Anode" 50nS, 600V, 16A is what the U16C40 is.

WOOHOO! Fairchilds FEP16JTA meets the specifications exactly. And, it is available through Mouser @ 1 for 96c.

Last edited:
Hi N1177B,

The problem with finding a replacement twin diode is that your arrangement is common anode, which are rare now. Common cathode are..err..more common.

The solution is to do a modification to your unit and fit two common cathode dioes or two single diodes. The case is the same ie TO-220.

Please post pictures of inside your equipment where the faulty diod mounts and let me know if you have the skills and equipment for some soldering and minor metal work in sheet aluminium.

If that is the case, I will be able to solve your problem

spec

There is no room for another to-220. Yes I can do the work, mite have to put it someplace else its pretty full of stuff though.
Don't know if the long wires will mess up the ckt, not sure what freq its running at, above 40,000 cps I'll bet.
I have researched for at least 10Hrs on the internet, have to take breaks eyes go crossed. Still no luck.
Is there any such thing as a Parts wanted Listing that you know of. Say like ebay except the other way around.
I Will post my Diagram (I followed the ckt board runs).
Someone has to have some of these laying around in a drawer, I have tons of spare parts I have collected over the years.
when I order parts if I need 2 I order 10 its usually the price break :) .
The inverter is a Harbor Freight 2000w, been working for 3+ years now had to replace the fans with ball rearing ones.
Its part of my solar power system. The newer model is cheep junk will never last, want to get these going I have 3 of them.
Oh and the reason a couple have failed is ME is, while trying to automate the system with a PLC, I made some boo boo's
I tryed to switch the Air Conditioner from AC to the inverter without stopping it first.
worked for a couple times then the inverter went poof. told the PLC not to be in such a hurry and wait 5 min.
All has been well now. except for the two I'm working on. I'll bet tundrawolf's was harbor freight or tiger.

Attachments

• 2000W_Inverter_LoVoltBoardSchemtic_Item#69662_ThreeFans.bmp
    92.9 KB · Views: 111
There is no room for another to-220. Yes I can do the work, mite have to put it someplace else its pretty full of stuff though.

Hi N11778,

Thanks for your prompt and informative reply.

Good that can do the work and find a place to put an additional TO-220 case (second diode)

Don't know if the long wires will mess up the ckt, not sure what freq its running at, above 40,000 cps I'll bet.

Long wires would not be good, but I am sure something can be sorted.

I have researched for at least 10Hrs on the internet, have to take breaks eyes go crossed. Still no luck.

Me too. We are chasing a shadow

Is there any such thing as a Parts wanted Listing that you know of. Say like ebay except the other way around.

Probably tons around somewhere- just a matter of finding them. I may even find a modern direct replacement- give me a bit of time

I Will post my Diagram (I followed the ckt board runs).

That will be very handy

Someone has to have some of these laying around in a drawer, I have tons of spare parts I have collected over the years.

Me too at one time, but the whole lot got junked in a house move.

when I order parts if I need 2 I order 10 its usually the price break

Good idea

The inverter is a Harbor Freight 2000w, been working for 3+ years now had to replace the fans with ball rearing ones.

Oil the fan bearings ever six months- never go again

Its part of my solar power system. The newer model is cheep junk will never last, want to get these going I have 3 of them.

That is the way of the world now- everything is cheap junk and throw-away

Oh and the reason a couple have failed is ME is, while trying to automate the system with a PLC, I made some boo boo's

I tryed to switch the Air Conditioner from AC to the inverter without stopping it first. worked for a couple times then the inverter went poof. told the PLC not to be in such a hurry and wait 5 min.

Sounds like the kind of thing I would do.

All has been well now . except for the two I'm working on.

Good news

I'll bet tundrawolf's was harbor freight or tiger.

Not understand

I will now have a look for some replacement parts for you, now that you have been kind enough to let me know your position.

Good luck

spec

If the AC was smart, it would have a short-cycle timer. I had to add one when it used a mechanical thermostat. A power glitch blew the fuse holder up. Now, it's handled in the electronic thermostat.

Good find Keep, but I would wan't to buy from a reliable source. Not saying they are but may be rip off. Which may fail and even damage N11778's inverter. Best to use genuine parts even if it means some modifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back