Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help making LEDs sync with music

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnathon007

Im new to circuits but am a very fast learner and am trying to find a way to sync music with LEDs . I want to have 1 color for each bass, middle, and treble. All i want is to put an audio input and an output to speakers. i would like to keep it under $20 and $10 if possible. If anyone can help it would be great. I already have some basic circuit components like a range of resistors, a breadboard,and LEDs

Last edited:
leds to music

Im new to circuits but am a very fast learner and am trying to find a way to sync music with LEDs . I want to have 1 color for each bass, middle, and treble. All i want is to put an audio input and an output to speakers. i would like to keep it under $20 and $10 if possible. If anyone can help it would be great. I already have some basic circuit components like a range of resistors, a breadboard,and LEDs

Do a search for LED Color Organ and I'm sure you'll find plenty of circuits.:)

i have searched google for the last hour and all i can find are high voltage projects that i cant pay enough to build. im just looking for something that will run a 9 volt battery or use a universal power cord. i really just need to know what kind of chip/part i need to get a bass,mid,and treble circuit for my lights.

Oh come on kiddo...
I Googled Low Power Color Organ...and/or LED Color Organ...and came up with literally hundreds of hits from basic to multi-LED units such as this one that I built a few years ago:

GEARFUSE DIY: Discrete LED Color Organ

The problem is that there is no dedicated chip for low-power Color Organs. Low power color organs are considerably more complicated than high power ones.

Oh come on kiddo...
I Googled Low Power Color Organ...and/or LED Color Organ...and came up with literally hundreds of hits from basic to multi-LED units such as this one that I built a few years ago:

GEARFUSE DIY: Discrete LED Color Organ

The problem is that there is no dedicated chip for low-power Color Organs. Low power color organs are considerably more complicated than high power ones.

and to find those circuits...took me all of about 30 seconds

You need to know the blocks that make a low power color organ:
1) A lowpass filter for bass frequencies.
2) A bandpass filter for midrange frequencies.
3) A highpass filter for high frequencies.
4) A peak detector circuit for each and a driver transistor for each LED color.
5) A power supply which is a battery, two capacitors and two resistors that make a bias voltage for the opamps.

Look in Google for each type of circuit. Put the circuits together and you will have a color organ.

Last edited:
color organ

You need to know the blocks that make a low power color organ:
1) A lowpass filter for bass frequencies.
2) A bandpass filter for midrange frequencies.
3) A highpass filter for high frequencies.
4) A peak detector circuit for each and a driver transistor for each LED color.
5) A power supply which is a battery, two capacitors and two resistors that make a bias voltage for the opamps.

Look in Google for each type of circuit. Put the circuits together and you will have a color organ.

I believe that will be much to much for him. You did hand those out on the silver platter.:(:rolleyes:

i have decided to use a more simple design [money is a huge issue where i live. i cant find a capacitor or resistor under $1 each :eek:] so i just need to know how to make an led wich already pulses with music brighter in the most simple way posible. i attached a very simple sketch of what i already have.

Attachments

• blinking led.jpg
    blinking led.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:
You show a simple circuit that will burn out the LED whenever it receives a signal because it doesn't have a current-limiting resistor in series with the LED and because the reverse voltage is too high.

Resistors and capacitors are very inexpensive in the civilized world. Are you on MARS?

First you wanted LEDs to pulse with the music with a different color LED for each of three frequency bands. Now you want a single LED to burn out whenever the music plays. Maybe the amplifier will also burn out.

i can get a few resistors but i dont need them as is becuase the input i have now can barly light them and resistors are expencive here becuase i have to get them at a hobby shop or drive 40 miles to a city to get to an electronics store. i just want to know how to amplify the signal which only seems to be around .1 volts at the highest to 6-9 volts to run a string of LEDs . so where i had drawn a LED imagine a string of them properly attached with resistors and if you know how just explain how i would basicly add a battery that would add to the signal strength and make my LEDs actualy light up.

In your first post you said you have an output to speakers. An amplifier is what drives speakers and it has plenty of voltage and current to light a few LEDs unless its volume is turned down low.
Now you say that the signal is only 0.1V so it needs an amplifier to increase the voltage.

LEDs need something in series like a resistor to limit the current so they don't burn out.

color organ

In your first post you said you have an output to speakers. An amplifier is what drives speakers and it has plenty of voltage and current to light a few LEDs unless its volume is turned down low.
Now you say that the signal is only 0.1V so it needs an amplifier to increase the voltage.

LEDs need something in series like a resistor to limit the current so they don't burn out.

AG, It has become very obvious to me all this is way over his head. I'm not sure if he even knows what he WANTS. He's been given circuits which show actually what he said he wanted to do, and now he rejects the advice to do that. :confused:

i already have LEDs wired with resistor perfectly and the reason the output speakers have no power is becuase they are from a dollar store and run off the power in a headphone plug. all i need is a way to add power across the LEDs without blowing the speakers up. i already have my circuit built but the power level is just to low. and like i said erlier all the circuits you posted before would cost me either $20 in gas plus the parts or $100 at the hobby shop i could buy them at. i need a way to do this with just a few parts if possible. I am not rejecting advice im just saying it is out of my price range becuase of this stupid farm town i live not having a proper electronics store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back