Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help. LED Cluster and Flasher Setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

starksoldat

Hello, I work for a non-profit organization and we have a annual steam show on our show grounds in Maryland. We have a railroad that takes passengers around the grounds and would like to add safety features to our railroad. What we would like to do is just like on Amtrak trains and other locomotives we would like to add alternating flashing lights to the front of our locomotive. The idea is to have two housings on the front of the locomotive that each contain a cluster of white LEDs. What we are looking for is a design that has three states: Both ON, Both OFF, and Alternating. The power source of the locomotive is an old 6V generator that has been converted to a 12V system. We want to use LEDs because of their low power usage since the electrical system on our locomotive doesn't sufficiently charge the deep cycle marine battery. Additionaly we would like to make crossing lights out of a large cluster of red LEDs. I know both projects are similar but I have no idea of where to start and would appreciate any help that anyone can offer. Once again thank you.

You probably want to try looking at a PIC chip.
You could use a threre way switch to go to two inputs.
Have a look at www.picaxe.com
You can download the software and buy the chips from here, and they are well worth taking a look at.

Danddan

I believe I can help you.
Is the locomotive's 12 volt power AC or DC?
You also mentioned using LED's for the for the railroad crossings.
What is the power source for these LED's?

I can provide you a schematic for the locomotive circuit, and also a circuit for the railroad crossings. Besides the voltage available for the locomotive's and the crossings I need one other question answered.
What is the flash rate. In other words how often do you wish the LED's to flash back and forth? Time in seconds would be very helpful.

Will you need more than a schematic diagram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back