Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help in transmitter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

andales

hi guys,

I am an intern(technical side) in a local TV station. We were testing the transmitter, antenna booster and the antenna we made. We were travelling around and stop in a certain location and test if transmission is good. The signal can be received even at seven miles. The problem arises if we are surrounded by mountains. We tested our transmission in low lands and surrounded by mountains. The signal cannot reach the transmission tower.

Is there another way to make our signal stronger? What device would be needed?

Have you never heard of "line of sight"?. You basically have to have a visible path from the transmitting aerial to the receiving one - this is absolutely dead basic radio stuff!.

If you're in a valley surrounded by mountains you need to get the aerial higher than the mountains!, or whatever in in the way of the signal - this is why it's normal to use satellite links back to the studio!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Have you never heard of "line of sight"?.
yes

Nigel Goodwin said:
You basically have to have a visible path from the transmitting aerial to the receiving one - this is absolutely dead basic radio stuff!.
I have thought of it already. I was thinking about making another transceiver, antenna that can be planted easily on a higher ground that will transmit the signal from the vehicle to the transmision tower, but that would be too much baggage cause i have to carry power supply ( battery and UPS). We have to be in a very low land coz it is the area were we are going to have a coverage.

Nigel Goodwin said:
If you're in a valley surrounded by mountains you need to get the aerial higher than the mountains!, or whatever in in the way of the signal - this is why it's normal to use satellite links back to the studio!
I was thinking if there are new technologies out there that can pierce through mountains aside from satellites.

Last edited:
The transmitter really really needs to be on the top of the mountain. Perhaps you could send the signal via cable to a remote transmitter on top of the highest surrounding mountian.

andales said:
I was thinking if there are new technologies out there that can pierce through mountains aside from satellites.

Tunneling machines! :p

There's no way without considerably more equipment (a relay transmitter that can 'see' both source and destination), which presumably would introduce more licencing problems?.

There is another way.

Cut all the mountains between the receiver and transmitter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back