Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help identifying switch:

Status
Not open for further replies.

gawrycht

I am trying to repair a Christmas decoration ... a large snow globe that either blows snow in the globe, plays music, or both. I have narrowed it down to the switch being bad but, being a novice when it comes to electronics, I can't figure out which switch to look for. All I know is that it's a 3 position switch (Off, Music, Music and Snow). It is run off 3 AA batteries with three wires going from the circuit board to the switch, if that helps.

One of the reasons I hate Radio Shack going to only on line ... I can't find any store to just take the switch into to actually talk to someone!

I have been to the Radio Shack site, as well as Electronic Goldmine. While they seem to have a lot of switches, none of the descriptions are in plain english and I can't make sense of any of the part codes/numbers. Have pictures attached if anyone could help me identify exactly what I should be looking for to order online. Appreciate any and all help!

Attachments

• IMG_0379[1].JPG
    IMG_0379[1].JPG
    388.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0380[1].JPG
    IMG_0380[1].JPG
    382.5 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0382[1].JPG
    IMG_0382[1].JPG
    816.2 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0383[1].JPG
    IMG_0383[1].JPG
    599.5 KB · Views: 157
Hi max,
My initial thought about the switch was the same as yours but the way the wires are connected would mean the centre and left positions would give no connection between the wires. The right hand position would make a connection between the green and black wires but there would be no connection to the yellow wire in any position of the switch. Either the switch does not behave as we both assumed it did or it is wired incorrectly.

Les.

Thanks gentlemen! From the attached schematic it looks like the switch I am looking for is the MS-23. Looking at the switch cover plate the "off" position is in the center...

If it is a single pole double throw with a double terminal at each position, then you would need to parallel each pair up.
Per Les's point.
Taking apart would confirm the contact positions.
Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back