Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help identifying strange apparatus from old car radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

fezder

Hey,
title says it all, i found this strange looking device from old car radio, seems to be some sort of adjustable....thing. But surely someone of you knows better, what is it, what it does/how it does etc....ANY help would be appreciated, i'm confused :S.

Radio_part (2).jpg Radio_part (1).jpg

It's the tuner. it uses adjustable ferrite cores inside inductors. Usually moved into the correct place using a pre-set button on the front panel.

As rmn_tech says it is the tuner.

There are two ways to vary the frquency of a tuned circuit, change the capacitance, or change the inductance.
For many years designers of car radios chose to vary the inductance rather than the capacitance.
Designers of domestic radios usually chose to use a variable capacitor.

A circuit which was adjusted by varying the inductance was often referred to as "Permeabilty Tuned".

In more modern designs, the local oscillator is generated by some kind of synthesiser and the signal frequency circuits are tuned by varicap diodes.

JimB

It looks like the entire radio section :D

As already mentioned, it's permeability tuned, as pretty well all car radios were - I presume it's a far hardier method than using a variable capacitor?, which are quite fragile devices.

thanks for replies, this might be stupid question, but is it still usable, or should it just be kept as decoration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back