Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help identifying cutout device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken1

I have a defective cut out with part # ESB716C1L on it. It's made of clear glass and it's about 1 inch long and about 1/4 inch diameter and cylindrical. It has 2 leads coming out of one end of it. It very closely resembles a neon lamp in shape and size. It looks like it has set of contacts inside like a switch. The company logo on this device is a white triangle with a letter "s" inside the triangle and a lightning bolt diagonally on both sides of the triangle. It is used in a fuel transfer pump made by GPI that runs on 120VAC. The motor actually runs on DC as there is a bridge rectifier inside the pump assembly and this cut out is mounted inside the motor next to the brushes. Power has to flow through this cut out to run the motor. I cannot find any reference to this part number anywhere online.

My guess, this is a reed switch. http://www.hamlin.com/product-group.cfm?prodcatid=1

They are magnetically actuated. A magnet would move the contacts and thus can be tested with an ohmeter and a magnet.
Orientation matters a A LOT. The pole of a magnet is perpendicular to the wider part of contacts. If inverted 180 deg, it will do the wrong thing.

They can be normally open or normally closed or even SPDT.

Now, the problem is to guess the ratings.

Without seeing the pump, it could detect say a dry pump, thus there should be a magnetic actuator nearby. The sensor might also be used to detect a stall.

Try to post a pic of everything.

Last edited:
Hi, The pump is a GPI model 1100. I took 2 photos of the inside of the motor showing the cut out device. It is located alongside the commutator. The pump is in the second photo.

Attachments

• IMG_0635.JPG
    IMG_0635.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0636.JPG
    IMG_0636.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Although I have never seen a glass thermal fuse, the idea that it is one makes sense because it seems to be connected to the brush.

It may actually be glass because it absorbs the radiation from the commutator.

In the absence of finding one, I'd probably check the commutator with an ohmmeter and check the friction of the motor and jump the device briefly (with a fuse elsewhere) to see if it still works.

I'd then get an idea of the current under load and select a Polyswitch for it's replacement: https://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?x=0&y=0&lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=polyswitch

These are self-resetting.

Now that you said two leads from one end, here is such a device: https://www.electronicsurplus.com/I...h_ temperature_ Thermal cut out_ - SB601AA1H/ but no specifications.

Last edited:
Hi, Thanks a million for finding the specs! Now I can replace the shorted bridge rectifier and get the pump fixed. I tested the motor and it works fine after I bypassed the cut out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back