Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help identifying component

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawblade

I let the smoke out of a component on one of the boards in my home theater receiver, and I'm trying to find out what it is exactly is so I can replace it. Does anyone recognize this off-hand? It's connecting the D/A convertor subwoofer output ground to the ground of the the rca jack that runs to the external amplifier.

Attachments

• blown.jpg
    blown.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 180
looks like a resistor, sounds like it behaved like a resistor. Try and locate one in a similar position ie near an output, that may give a better indication of the device.

A capacitor maybe? Could be almost anything. Surface mount components are hard to indentify once they have burnt like that and have no numbers left. Any chance of getting a schematic?

It's probably a resistor but it could be just as easilly a capacitor, the only way to tell is by looking at the schematic or reverse engineering it.

It's also quite likely that it's not the only damage?, this may be a result, and not the actual cause.

It's most likely to be a resistor, because capacitors don't generally do that! :D

I looked at the other boards in the receiver, and it looks like the other components marked BD are inductors. I'm thinking about scavenging the identical part from the ground of the XM radio circuit also on this board because I'll never use it.

It originally blew while I was connecting a sub amp to the receiver, and I dropped the cable, and the shield which was connected to the receiver (and seems to be a floating ground upon looking at the board) touched the earth grounded case of the amp. I still get a signal from the receiver, but there's a very noticeable line hum now.

It could be an inductor as when an inductor burns out like that it would be a short circuit, have you tested the resistance yet?

If you can re-use the part from the radio section and that fixes the problem then simply buy a new xxxxxx and put in the radio section. Measure the resistance and get a photo before re-installing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back