Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help identifying character LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

flarn2006

I pulled the LCD out of a broken AlphaSmart 2000, and I need some help identifying it. I have posted some pictures of it below:

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

I noticed that, going by the bottom image, if you ground the sixth pin on the top row and apply 5V (from my Arduino) to the first pin on the bottom row, the screen displays a weird pattern like this:
**broken link removed**
and then it fades away, and the same thing happens again when you remove the voltage. But I doubt this is how it was intended to be powered. ;)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

When I connect the 5V/GND pins in what I thought is the right way (according to this page) one of the black circles (chips?) at the bottom of the board quickly gets really hot. I doubt that's how it's intended to be used, so I disconnected it before any damage was done. The thing I mentioned before with the strange patterns still happens, so I'm sure it still works fine.

Have you tried googling for any part number printed on the LCD? This may help finding the datasheet.

Yes, I tried that, and in response to a post above, it doesn't necessarily mean it's broken. Remember, I could still get it to display those weird patterns. And don't say it's displaying those because it's broken, because it was doing those before I tried anything that made it hot too.

I think too it's possibly broken.
A good Display shows a line of black Blocks in the first line, and nothing in the second line when only power is connected.
There are 2 controllers on this Display, so there must be shown 2 black lines ( 1 + 3 ) and 2 blank lines ( 2 + 4 ).

The display will geht hot, when the initialising of the display controller was wrong, in false order, or the timing at the pins isn't OK while initialising or running ( Look for busy flag ) .
Such wrong using can damage the display, because the display controller will get hot.

I've sarched a litte bit.
The Display Manufactor ist Nan Ya Plastics Corporation. The Display Type is possible LMMK5x028x2S.
On your display is a label with LMKK5R028A2U.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back