Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help for choosing a suitable Dot Matrix Display...

Status
Not open for further replies.

savagewilson

I am currently doing an electronics project and I need some advice on choosing a suitable dot matrix display. The dimension of the dot matrix display should be around 12cm x 8cm. It will be connected to a PIC microcontroller. I am not really sure whether I should choose a dot matrix display with built-in controller or do it with a separate display controller connected to the dot matrix display.

One more thing, anyone here know any website tat provide sample working module for dot matrix display?

savagewilson said:
I am currently doing an electronics project and I need some advice on choosing a suitable dot matrix display. The dimension of the dot matrix display should be around 12cm x 8cm. It will be connected to a PIC microcontroller. I am not really sure whether I should choose a dot matrix display with built-in controller or do it with a separate display controller connected to the dot matrix display.

One more thing, anyone here know any website tat provide sample working module for dot matrix display?

Perhaps you might try mentioning the resolution you need?.

There are lots of dot matrix graphics LCD displays available on the surplus market.

I would not consider getting one without a controller unless you had some very unusual need to do so. There is no practical way I know of to control a VGA or XGA screen either. The T6963 controller accounts for 90% of the graphics displays out there. SED1330 is probably the next most common. I've written for both.

You need to consider what backlighting, if any, you need, and B/W or color, and if you need grayscales. The low end market doesn't have much for greyscale. You may have difficulty getting samples, but like I say, there's plenty out there on the surplus market and eBay, often the same ones you'd get from a vendor.

Perhaps you might try mentioning the resolution you need?.

I am not sure what resolution I might need for my project, but since only less than 20 characters will be display at a time, I will try to go for the cheapest solution possible to save cost. Do you mind share with me what resolution would suit my project best based on your experience? I will really appreciate it.

There are lots of dot matrix graphics LCD displays available on the surplus market.

I would not consider getting one without a controller unless you had some very unusual need to do so. There is no practical way I know of to control a VGA or XGA screen either. The T6963 controller accounts for 90% of the graphics displays out there. SED1330 is probably the next most common. I've written for both.

You need to consider what backlighting, if any, you need, and B/W or color, and if you need grayscales. The low end market doesn't have much for greyscale. You may have difficulty getting samples, but like I say, there's plenty out there on the surplus market and eBay, often the same ones you'd get from a vendor.

I think I will aim for B/W display, either green or white backlighting would be fine. How much does T6963 or SED1330 cost? Could I choose for dot matrix dsipaly that has built in controller since I only need to display only few characters and digits? What would you suggest for a cheap LCD display with built-in controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back