Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help for body presence sensing circuitry design

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT-Janos

I need an inexpensive solution to detecting human presence (not motion) detection at a max. 5m (16ft) distance from the sensor preferably non-temperature based.

If the distance between the body and the sensor could also be approximated, it would be a bonus!

Am I expecting too much?

GT-Janos

preferably non-temperature based.
Why? Are you looking for corpses? If not, I think an IR sensor would be the best bet (but I don't see how that alone could indicate distance).

Something using the same principle as a theramin? May be able to give you some idea of distance too.

Last edited:
Hi Alec_t,

The gadget would turn on-off a heater and I thought that there could be some interference, but probably wouldn't.
I keep the corpses in the closet (without heating).

I'm new to the community, so how does it work work with your "experimental" circuitry? Cheers

There was an article I read a number of years ago about a "radar" made with off-the-shelf parts "for about $15" that could detect a person's breathing. It was developed by a scientist at Livermore Labs. If you Google it you'll probably find it.

I'll bet you have the same idea I did when I read the article :D That application was patented by another party unconnected to the Livermore guy.

Hi mdredmond,

I tried to google the article, but couldn't find the item you recommended. Maybe my search criteria:
"radar" made with off-the-shelf parts "for about $15" was not the best.

Regards,

GT-Janos

Try "human detection radar."

This may be close, but I am not IEEE and can't access: **broken link removed**

John

Well that article describes the basic function, but since it operates at 2.4GHz and doesn´t show much more than theory, I don´t think it is much use for a normal hobbyist.
Anyway I may be able upload a screenshot somewhere if somebody wants it.

I'm new to the community, so how does it work work with your "experimental" circuitry?
I design circuits, then simulate their operation with the aid of LTSpice. Theoretically they work, but simulation can never be 100% accurate. I usually don't build them for real.....I leave that for others to do :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back