Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help for 150v-dc regulated supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

panchumarthy

i want to build 150V-DC(current-50mA) regulated power supply for robot, i have already chosen the following circuit for this application, so i need some help wether this circuit is suitable for realtime application or not, do i have to add any other components to the following circuit,i hope i will get some good suggestions :?:

Attachments

• ORIGINAL.GIF
    ORIGINAL.GIF
    4.8 KB · Views: 385
panchumarthy said:
i want to build 150V-DC(current-50mA) regulated power supply for robot, i have already chosen the following circuit for this application, so i need some help wether this circuit is suitable for realtime application or not, do i have to add any other components to the following circuit,i hope i will get some good suggestions :?:

Make sure that the resistor RP (1K) is rated for more than 22 Watts. This resistor alone would draw 150mA from your supply. I'm not sure what its purpose is but it looks like a pain to deal with.

thank u for u'r reply.
first i will check the circuit without that resistor ,i thought it would be bipass resistor for capacitor C3 and i already chosen 25watt, it is just for safety, what about the other circuit,is it ok.

If you want a bleeder (bypass is the wrong term) for C3, make Rp=100k.

You have no short circuit protection. If you short the output to GND, your transistor will be destroyed.

Try adding foldback circuit (just one more transistor and resistor).
Note that in case of short circuit current of ca 70mA will flow through
Q1 which should be properly rated and installed on heatsink.
What is the planed value of Rs?

Attachments

• 150V_Reg.gif
    150V_Reg.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 362
That's not foldback limiting, it's just plain current limiting. The transistor will dissipate 10 watts when the output is shorted. Not impossible, but it will require a big transistor and a big heat sink. I think I would look for a high voltage switching regulator.
I can show you how to add foldback limiting to your circuit, but the way I did it, you will have to raise your unregulated supply to around 165v, and it requires a total of 6 transistors. You will get better regulation with my circuit.

thanks for u'r replies,
i am just a student and new to power regulator circuits, i am just trying to learn what u are saying , if u don't mind pls send me u'r circuit so that i can compare the circuits and decide which is bett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back