Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help finding this Thermal sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wade7575

I'm looking to find this sensor or or one that is very similar to it,I got a Digital Thermometer off of ebay it's the top link and would like a sensor that's hand's free when I test my soldering stations tip temp rather then using the cable type.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any listing's on ebay one of these Seson's shown in the picture or another brand that will work the same,the link to ebay is the Digital Thermometer I purchased from ebay.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Here is a link to more info about the Bonkote unit,you need to scroll down closer to the bottom of the page to see the hand held version.

http://en.bonkote.co.jp/product/peripherals/mca-700.html

Last edited:
Looks to use a Type K thermocouple sensor and the handheld uses a miniature Type K connector. So all you need to to fabricate or buy a type K thermocouple from a company like Omega Engineering that will suit your needs. A Google of "type k miniature thermocouple line plug" should get you started or just a Google of Type K thermocouple. You want a miniature not full size plug.

Ron

I can't see it being too hard: Take something like this: http://41j.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/fg100.jpg

You can get mineature plugs and sockets for use with K thermocouples. They will be yellow.

PCB feedthoughs will likely work because they are at the same temperature. You can start with a bare wire thermocouple and you should be able to make the twists.

Use another thin guage wire, and some way of pulling the made TC and fastening it. Titanium wire **broken link removed** would be a good choice since it isn't a good conductor of heat.

You could likely find different bead colors or lengths so the polarity is right.

Useful info: A short with any wire on your readout should read room temp as long as the thermometer is capable. Polarity test, attach TC and place between fingers. Temp should go up.

Try not to solder, you likely can't anyway K type thermocouple wire. The junctions (1/2 junctions) should ideally be at the same temperature.

Making your own thermocouple can be done with a high current power supply (car battery?) and a carbon block. Twist tightly and run junction along carbon block. No twists would exist on the final product which would have a bead at the end.

There is something called extension wire. This is not the same as thermocouple wire, but it has the same temperature characteristics.

Why not instead buy a more versatile instrument such as a non-contact thermal infrared thermometer? Not knowing the country where you reside, I cant suggest a place to shop, but in the US Home Depot carries some Extech thermometers. Nice thing about having one of the devices is that not only can you test your solder iron tip temp, but you can measure temps on PCB's as well which is nice in locating hot spots on a design.
I have an Extech but mine only goes to 600 deg F, but I imagine they make higher temps for the forgers :)

Thanks for the help guys but I decided to go with this one as someone on another suggested it,I found a few people carrying the bonkote sensor but they deal with big bussiness and the shipping was like 35 to 50 bucks to have it shipped to Canada.

I figured for the price and this one from what everyone say's on youtube is just as good and test's the same or 1 to 2 degree's from the real Hakko Fg-100 I figured for 16 bucks Canadian why not,I have a real Hakko FX-888D I purchased from a Canadian dealer that I know who carrie's the real stuff and got a price off of him for a Hako Fg-100 and it was around 250 Canadian and for the few times a year I'm going to test my tip's temp I figured screw that.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back