Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help finding a compatible capacitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM Photography

My recent project has thrown me for a loop. I'm working on a Photogenic Powerlight 1500SL Studio Strobe Light. After each flash, smoke would come out of the unit, after failing to locate where it was coming from, I very carefully plugged the unit in while the unit was open and found it was coming from one of the smaller capacitors. The capacitor in question is 2 inches tall and 1 inch in diameter, leads are 3/8 inch spacing. I have searched high and low for this thing. I can't even find schematics for the circuitry nor data sheets. This unit is roughly 10 years old. I'm assuming this capacitor is bipolar since there are no clear indications of it being polarized. The thing is, I can't find a single bipolar capacitor that meets the values. Below are some photos of what I'm working on, and I'll list everything on the capacitor for ease of read. Any help would greatly be appreciated. There is a line indentation on one of the leads that resembles a negative sign, I doubt that's what it means as polarity is usually clearly noted.

-A- LP 85C
220μF 200VNP
Max Surge 250 VDC
15005-00
677 9627

DSC_0218.jpg
DSC_0220.jpg
DSC_0223.jpg
DSC_0217.jpg
DSC_0212.jpg

May not be marked as polarized but, it has a VDC rating and it seems to be (best I can read the traces) connected (with its 400VDC mate) to a negative lead of one of the three 626(?) diode/(rectifier)s.

If it were me (and it's not, of course), I'd replace it with a stock 220uF, 250V (or higher) electrolytic and see what happens.

Try to find a replacement that, at the least, has similar physical dimensions since this is a rough indication of voltage level tolerance and, as a result, energy density. Pin placement may have to be accommodated by jumpers.

I'd put the negative lead to the trace with the elbow (45°) bend and a white dot (a via?) with "C1" beside it.

Wear eye protection during the testing of the replacement.

Could the "NP" of the "200VNP" marking indicate Non-Polarised? The fact that it's also marked "assembled" suggests it might be two back-to-back electros in one package.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Cowboy bob you are correct. The C1 trace is going over to the 400VDC Cap. While the other is traced to the R51 on the backside of the circuit board. I will order me an electrolytic cap with as close to the dimensions as possible and try that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back