Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help designing DC-DC Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangel

I found only this one on the net, and this is not extrlay what I need

Electronics Experiments: Simple DC-DC Converter

I have to convert DC 220V to about 5-10V (i'm not shure extly what I need there, I will know only after my device will work)

Curent I do not care, device need very low curent , about 100mA, But it has to be as light as possible, so I cannot use usual transformer chemm ( It cannot be under 70g weight, and I prefere total weight under 50g).

So I prefere any scheme that I can use here.

p.s. I cannot use schemes without the transformer (like tiristor based) besouse of the safety.

thank u for all your unswers.

WHere are you getting 220V DC coming from?Transformers do not work with DC.

Last edited:
I found only this one on the net, and this is not extrlay what I need

Electronics Experiments: Simple DC-DC Converter

I have to convert DC 220V to about 5-10V (i'm not shure extly what I need there, I will know only after my device will work)

Curent I do not care, device need very low curent , about 100mA, But it has to be as light as possible, so I cannot use usual transformer chemm ( It cannot be under 70g weight, and I prefere total weight under 50g).

So I prefere any scheme that I can use here.

p.s. I cannot use schemes without the transformer (like tiristor based) besouse of the safety.

thank u for all your unswers.
Given those requirements I think you are pretty much out of luck. Good luck finding a solution.

offline switcher. mind you, you might have trouble finding the transformer. the manufacturers are not likely to sell singles for less than $20-$30 since most are custom.

you would be better off just buying a small switcher supply for $10. I can explain why the price disparity but I do not want to bore you.

offline switcher. mind you, you might have trouble finding the transformer. the manufacturers are not likely to sell singles for less than $20-$30 since most are custom.

you would be better off just buying a small switcher supply for $10. I can explain why the price disparity but I do not want to bore you.

Ttransformer I beleave it is not a problem, I have a nice stock of them, from about 7g to 40g, That I beleave I can use.

And small switcher is a problem, they always 5V or 12V , and i'm not shure what exactly I need.

Ttransformer I beleave it is not a problem, I have a nice stock of them, from about 7g to 40g, That I beleave I can use.

And small switcher is a problem, they always 5V or 12V , and i'm not shure what exactly I need.
That would be very unusual, switching transformers are a bit picky.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/12/tnypk_family_datasheet.pdf will work, assuming that you have an appropriate transformer. It also makes a difference if you are going for safety regs isolation or not. There are a lot of transformers out there that are only for 24-48V in or that only have 500V isolation instead of the 3-5KV that is required. (250VAC CE medical isolation is 5KV)

Dan

WHere are you getting 220V DC coming from?Transformers do not work with DC.

Its probably 180 VDC. When 220-240 VAC is rectified it yields about 180 VDC. This is a very common voltage conversion in industrial plants. Most of the smaller industrial DC motors use either the 180 volt field or the 90 volt field. When 110-120 is rectified it yields 90 VDC. From what Sangel is describing I would say that the DC voltage is coming from something similar to a DC motor controller.

Sangel, here is a link to Dart Controls. See if this would help you.
Dart Controls - Your motor speed control solutions provider!

That would be very unusual, switching transformers are a bit picky.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/12/tnypk_family_datasheet-1.pdf will work, assuming that you have an appropriate transformer. It also makes a difference if you are going for safety regs isolation or not. There are a lot of transformers out there that are only for 24-48V in or that only have 500V isolation instead of the 3-5KV that is required. (250VAC CE medical isolation is 5KV)

Dan

it is not it. It is regular trasformer scheme, with a bulky low frequency transformer.

it is not it. It is regular trasformer scheme, with a bulky low frequency transformer.
I am missing something here...your origional post said you could not use a bulky 60Hz power transformer so I posted an economical switcher chip to which you reply it is using a low frequency transformer.

It makes me wonder if you have a clue what you are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back