Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help designing/building a variable DC power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffisaviking

Hi,

I’ve been dreaming about building an anodizing rig for titanium. For that, I need to build a variable DC power supply. It doesn’t really need to be able to go down to 0 Volts DC, 10v DC on the bottom end would be fine. On the Top end, I need at least 30v, and up to 120 is useful. Current limiting wouldn’t be a bad idea, and doesn’t need to be variable necessarily. 1A is plenty, and more is ok. It doesn’t have to be the most accurate or smoothest DC, but having a power supply I could use for future electronics projects wouldn’t be a bad thing. I’m going to be running DC through a fluid, so grounding I assume is important too.

I’ve got two challenges. One, high school electronics was half a life time ago, so my electronics skills are a touch rusty. And two, I can get a commercial power supply for $130ish, so I’d like to aim for less than that for the project.

I’m not against kits if that is a good route, or building it all from scratch if that makes sense. Thoughts?

Many thanks!
Jeff

Hi,

I’ve been dreaming about building an anodizing rig for titanium. For that, I need to build a variable DC power supply. It doesn’t really need to be able to go down to 0 Volts DC, 10v DC on the bottom end would be fine. On the Top end, I need at least 30v, and up to 120 is useful. Current limiting wouldn’t be a bad idea, and doesn’t need to be variable necessarily. 1A is plenty, and more is ok. It doesn’t have to be the most accurate or smoothest DC, but having a power supply I could use for future electronics projects wouldn’t be a bad thing. I’m going to be running DC through a fluid, so grounding I assume is important too.

I’ve got two challenges. One, high school electronics was half a life time ago, so my electronics skills are a touch rusty. And two, I can get a commercial power supply for $130ish, so I’d like to aim for less than that for the project.

I’m not against kits if that is a good route, or building it all from scratch if that makes sense. Thoughts?

Many thanks!
Jeff

What surplus stores do you have access to? Its all about what surplus (cheap) transformers you can find?

Surplus Center is up the street about an hour. They usually have transformers. I think they have one with a 35v 0.5 amp output, and I've got a 32v wall wart from an old printer I could use as well. Haven't seen deals on a variac locally.

Take a look at this for a possible start. **broken link removed** It doesn't quite meet your specs because it has a 1.5 A current limit.

You can use another LM317HV im series in a differnt way to get a variable current limit.

You may have to force cool it.

Abetter candidate might be a switching regulator. Constant current or current limit is useful for plating power supplies.

My post apparently disappeard. See the datasheet for the LM317HV. **broken link removed** You can use another configured differently for current limit. 1.2 to 57 volts @ 1.5 Amps.

Switching supplies are abetter option.

See www.National.com

Was looking through Ti's product catalog and found the TL783. Looks like it works a lot like the LM317, but can regulate from 0ish to 120 volts. Could I skip a transformer, use a bridge rectifier directly from the 120v AC, add filtering caps and the TL718 circuit, and get what I need? I assume I'd need a giant heat sink on the TL718. Or, and I trying to get too much out of that regulator?

Skipping the transformer might work, but it wouldn't be safe. You want a transformer to isolate your power from the mains for safety reasons. Transformer-less power supplies need to be insulated, and not expose the output connections.

One idea may be to find a 1:1 isolation transformer. But even that would give almost 170V peak. That's near 50V head voltage, might be a bit much.

For the range you're shooting for, you'll need to consider a two stage regulator scheme, where the 1st stage uses a chopper or switching regulation technique, and the 2nd stage uses a linear regulator. Trying to get that range with just a linear will be tough. Just think of the power wasted if you're dropping 120V down to 5V @ 1amp. You waste 115W and deliver only 5W.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back