Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help creating a simple heating circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

roguetechie

Ok guys,

I am working on a project where I need to wrap a heating element around a 3 inch diameter steel pipe and heat the inside of the pipe to around 130 celsius. I also need the circuit to cost less than a hundred dollars. I'd prefer to run it on 110 volts. I'm thinking it needs to be in the 1200 -1500 watt range.

Unfortunately I don't know much about electronics (read that as basically nothing beyond red positive black negative stuff)... I already tried using the heating element out of a space heater but I accidentally shorted it out and blew it up. What I need to know is how many feet of what gauge of heating wire I'd use and what else I'd need in the circuit to make this run on 110volt power at under 15 amps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

THanks,

Roguetechie

And your pipe is how long and what does it contain and the flow rate?

The easiest way to do this is to use heating tape such as this: https://www.omega.com/pptst/FGS_FGH_FWH.html

130 C is suspicious and I'll bet that you need to get rid of water vapor. Use a Variac or Variable auto-transformer and just adjust the AC voltage until the desired temperature is reached. The autotransformer will run $100+ new. Example: https://www.newark.com/tenma/72-110...iable Transformers&MER=PPSO_N_P_Variable_None

If you decide to use a controller, it has to have phase angle fired output.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back