Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help building circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

chopperdog

Hello everyone.
New here.
I am trying to build what I think is a farily basic circuit, but I don't know how to do it.
I need a switch that will close for a very short time, then reopen. For an example, close for .25 seconds, then open for .75 seconds. I would like for this to happen, and continually repeat, and all of this only when a push switch is selected.
This is a 12 volt circuit.
The purpose is to momentarily stumble an engine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chopperdog

This is normally done with a chip called 555 or LM555, NE555, SE555. Anyway, you make an oscilator with this chip and the result is a square kind of wave which changes at the rate and times you told it to with 2 resistors and a capacitor. That will be used to control something more powerful, like a relay.

Here's a "data sheet". It tells all about the timer chip.

Attachments

• LM555..pdf
    150.3 KB · Views: 185
This forum also has a 555 calculator built into it, so you can calculate what values you need to use to get the desired frequency. I would recomend modifying the duty cycle of the output for your specific circuit.

Could a 555 chip handle the 12 volts of a car battery, or would that result in too much amperage?
I read on a site that the 555 chip can handle up to 15 volts.

Ye, an NE555N can be connected to a car battery, the only thing you need to add is a fuse to prevent the battery blowing up if there's a short circuit.

Thanks again for the help.
Is it possible this is an existing circuit design? I have seen 555 designs, but haven't found this yet.

The idea is to close a switch for a very short period of time, .25 seconds or so, and then open the switch for about 1 second, and repeat this cycle as long as a momentary switch is held down.
This whole idea is to simply stumble the ignition of a car motor.
I understand the 555n should work, but I'm not totally sure how I would wire in the 12 volts, ground etc.
Also, I am assuming that I would need 2 incoming 12 volt positive lines. 1 for the power to the circuit, the other being the supply that is shorted out when the switch is closed.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chopperdog

If you were going to do this manually with a normally-closed switch, where would you wire it? Would it go between +12V (IGN Switch) and the coil through a ballast resistor? Opening the normally-closed switch would effectively momentarily turn off the ignition? I think you want the switch to Open a circuit, not Short something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back