Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help building a 3D puzzle that have lights and audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Japaneric

Hello all,
I am new to this site. I am trying to build an electronic puzzle that when the puzzle is successfully put together, a switch is used to activate an audio and flashing lights display.

Here's the problem!!! I never build anything in my life.
I don't know, where to start.

I need a material list, a schematic and step by step of how to build this.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!
A :? kid trying to learn a new trick!!!

It's an 3D puzzle with four/five pieces right now.

I currently thinking about getting some sort of circular shape object.
I want to cut off the top and bottom and then cut the middle into two sections and maybe keep an inner piece for the electronical components. Does this make sense at all?

Thanks.

Crazymonkey,

I have attached a rough sketch. I hope it is better than my description.
Let say, I have a circular object. I want to cut the top and the bottom of the object in a circular shape. Then I want to cut the left and right side in a sphere shape. Then the middle piece is a rectangular shape that contains the circuitry. It is the piece that will have contact with all of the other pieces.

Do you think this is something that can be built?

Thanks for all your help!!
The Kid!!

Attachments

• electronic_puzzle.gif
    electronic_puzzle.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 745
I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Something to consider would be to use reed switches (switches activated by magnets) instead of push buttons on the pieces. They would make it harder to cheat.

Crazymonkey,

Thanks for the insight.
Back to my originally question.

Where do I start?
Can you give me a supply list and step by step instructions on building this?

I am new to electronics, so I don't really know the name of the parts.
I was planning on going to Radio Shack to pick up the audio part this weekend. I was hoping to try to build it this weekend.

Thanks for all your help, dude.
The Kid!!! 8)

I deseparately need the material list and instructions today.
I need to build a prototype this weekend.
thanks.
Sincerely,
The Kid!! :shock:

All you would really need is 5 switches (1 for the on/off and 4 reed swithes to signal the pieces are together, all connected in series), a power supply (9V battery would work fine) and the lights/audio. What sort of lights/audio do you want? Flashing lights can be built using only a handful of commponents. You might also consder using fibre optics (be warned they are expensive) to use the light from the L.E.D's (in the centre piece) to light the outside pieces.

CrazyMonkey,

Thank you so much. My first project was a success. Unfortunately, I could only find 1 reed switch on short notice. Therefore, I created the puzzle with two parts. When the puzzle is put together correctly, the audio and light comes on simultaneously. It was hard at first but when it all came together, it was fun. Thank so much for your help. I am going to my junior competition today and tomorrow. I'll let you know how the puzzle faired. It was my first project, to me it's an A.

Thanks again for all your help!!!! I will be talking to you again. I am planning on building stuff for fun.

The Kid who learned a new trick!!!! :D

Good Work, I know I had a similar feeling when i finished my first project. I'm glad I could help someone and pass on the knowledge I have collected over the years. I'm glad you had fun and I hope I taught you something along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back