Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help building 24v-36v 200amp power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PottyPi

Can someone help me? I would like to build 24-36v 200 amp power supply. Can someone explain to me how I would start building one? I dont know much about electronics. How do I start?

Thanks!
PottyPi

It might be simpler and cheaper to buy a used welder.

What type of regulation and filtering will you need?
What is wrong with commercial units?
Do you want AC, DC, or both?

John

You guessed correctly. I want to use it for a spool gun, that connects directly to 24v-36v power supply. I think it will draw about 200amps. I want it to be an inverter supply, with IGBT for switching. Help me understand how regulation and filtering will play in the design and what difference it will make. It needs to be DC only.

I think commercial unit may cost more. I also think commercial unit will weight too much. For example, a Miller XMT304 CV/CC welder costs at least $1K:

**broken link removed**

Thanks!

I agree with the welder power source concept. You can buy one for far less than you will ever build one.

What you would be looking for is a constant voltage type power supply for MIG (Wire Feed).

Any standard constant voltage source welder power supply that puts out 200 amps or more will also have a output voltage that's adjustable from around 12 - 36 volts at load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back