Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help adapting a 2Cyl automotive tachometer to a newer tecumseh V-Twin engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

circuitman1989

I have a 18hp vertical shaft Tecumseh V-Twin lawn tractor engine that I would like to put a two cylinder automotive tachometer on. The problem is the engine has a magneto style electronic ignition system that uses 2 seperate magneto's (one for each cylinder). I want to use this tachometer... **broken link removed** but I dont know how to make it work with my engine. Can some one please help me?

Circuitman1989

It will not work, The tach is made to run off a pluse every time a plug fires from the points in the distributer and is used on 4,6 and 8 cylinder engines. You need a RPM meter that runs off inductive pickup, thay have a small pick up wire that raps around the spark plug wire and can be set for 1,2 or 4 cylinder engines.

I have to disagree with 4pyros here.

I think that it will work, and it would work on a single cylinder lawn mower. One of the settings on the tacho is designed for a 2 cylinder, 4 stroke engine, that fires once per revolution. (Each cylinder fires every second revolution, so with 2 cylinders, one fires each revolution).

The magnetos on a lawnmower are on the crankshaft so there is a wasted spark system and each fires every revolution, so that will be right.

Also their website says "Modern DIS ignition applications are covered by the 2 cylinder setting" which is why that setting is there, rather than for 2 cylinder engines which I am fairly sure are rare in modern cars.

The bigger problem is that you will use about 1/4 of the range of the tacho because the engine only revs to 2400 rpm or so.

I'm planing on making a drag racing lawn tractor and I'm using the Tecumseh V-Twin as the engine. I already found a ton of aftermarket performance racing parts for the engine. I know with the proper parts and performance mods to the engine, I can run atleast 7500 RPMs (I've dove research). I just want to monitor the RPMs because racing lawn tractors use a straight pipe exhaust system(No muffler, very loud) and I'll have a hard time trying to figure out the RPMs without a tachometer.

I don't suppose u want to build your own PIC tacho for the purpose? Or a PIC interface to correct the RPM pulses to 'match' your tacho?

I agree with 4pyros. As stated in the manual, the Sunpro tach requires a connection "to the driver wires from the vehicle computer to the ignition module". I don't believe there's a suitable connection on a magneto ignition for this signal. Thus you need one with an inductive pickoff, as he stated, perhaps one like this.

can I use **broken link removed** and if I can how do I wire it up because the engine has two separate magnetos (one per cylinder). I've included the PDF of the wiring schematic

Attachments

• 8132TachAdapter.pdf
    118.5 KB · Views: 679
can I use **broken link removed** and if I can how do I wire it up because the engine has two separate magnetos (one per cylinder). I've included the PDF of the wiring schematic
Seems rather expensive but, if you have a magneto kill switch that you can access as shown in the PDF file, then I would think it should work.

The kill switch is where it picks up the signal to convert for the tach, and that should work for any number of cylinders.

Here ya go. I made mine to run the controller on my intake for my spec racer and have used it for several years.

Attachments

• tach.png
    tach.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 2,242
This **broken link removed** might work, but cannot find any real info on it except that it has a switch that's used to selct twin and not twin engines. Polarity is dependent on which way the sensor faces.

Who knows what it outputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back