Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help about relay!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

msovais

in this circuit FWD/RVS relay is shown with 2 separate contact pins and 2 separate NC and NO pins...

i wanna ask whether they are using 2 relays with one transistor or configuration of relay is just like that internally..?

Attachments

• relay-motor.gif
    relay-motor.gif
    9.8 KB · Views: 355
It's a DPDT relay, also called a 2 pole changeover, again it's clearly marked as such, by the dotted line from the coil to the contacts. It's a standard relay!.

msovais said:
hmm...in this case if i dont use that relay...can i use two simple relays with one transistor?

You could use two single pole changeover relays - assuming you already have them? - if not you may as well get the correct relay, like I said they are VERY common.

msovais said:
im not been able to switch two single pole relays with one transistor(2n2222).

hi,
What are your base drive voltage inputs, if they are +5V, its most likely that with a 10K base resistor you are not driving the 2N2222 into saturation, when you have two relay coils in parallel.

Whats the supply voltage to the relays and what is the coil resistance?

Eric

Last edited:
Do you have the mandatory free-wheel diode connected in reverse parallel?

The relay might be a honking huge one for switching on a winch. The poor little 2N2222 will curl up and die.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Well we are lacking almost all information! :D
pretty much, he has thrown a circuit at us, and is asking how to avoid using a relay, because he doesn't have one. wouldn't you think if the circuit COULD use transistors, they would, since transistors are much faster, and sometimes more reliable???
just buy or find a relay somewhere, they would only be a couple of bucks, and it would save you all this trouble:eek:

Connect a 9V relay to a 9V battery. Then hold the relay's wires in one hand and disconnect the battery. You will feel a big shock (don't use both hands or it might kill you).

The voltage when the relay is disconnected might be hundreds of volts that could destroy a driver transistor. Adding a reversed diode across rhe coil clamps the voltage spike to 0.7V more than the positive supply voltage.

Doesn't it clamp it to 0.7V below the supply not 0.7V above the supply?

Some of the biggest shocks I've had have been from playing around with transformers and large contactors. The moment you disconnect the battery from the relay the same current will cary on flowing, for an instant, and if you're in that current path it isn't nice. Currents above 5mA are considered harmful and can potentially kill you, however in practice when you interrupt the 20mA goint through a relay it only passed through you for a split second so it isn't too bad. but a big contactor with a current of 2A is a different story.

Hero999 said:
Doesn't it clamp it to 0.7V below the supply not 0.7V above the supply?

Some of the biggest shocks I've had have been from playing around with transformers and large contactors. The moment you disconnect the battery from the relay the same current will cary on flowing, for an instant, and if you're in that current path it isn't nice. Currents above 5mA are considered harmful and can potentially kill you, however in practice when you interrupt the 20mA goint through a relay it only passed through you for a split second so it isn't too bad. but a big contactor with a current of 2A is a different story.
hi hero,
The 'spike' at the collector is postive going, wrt Vcc line, so it forward biases the clamp diode into conduction, thats why its clamped to Vcc + the Vdiode fwd drop.

Eriv

Yes, I agree, the collector is lifted above the supply voltage by 0.7V, I was incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back