Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need for sample and hold circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

microcare

Hello ppl

Im making a temperature measuring and control system .
Im using RTD in bridge circuitary whose o/p is given to instrumentation amplifier (IA)IC .
Now im planning to use adc0804 after IA stage .
Do i require to use a sample and hold (S&H)IC in between ?
Or do i require to use ADC with built in S&H circuit ?)eg.adc10064

Plz help .
It would be also nice if u can give advatage of using S&H circuitary in above cases .
Btw im using Microcontroller further after the ADC stage

microcare said:
Hello ppl

Im using RTD in bridge circuitary whose o/p is given to instrumentation amplifier (IA)IC .

Plz help .
It would be also nice if u can give advatage of using S&H circuitary in above cases .

Hi,
The requirement for S/H depends a lot on the rate of change of the output
of the opa signal. If its 'slow' compared to the conversion rate of the ADC then its not required.
If the signal for ADC conversion is changing faster than the ADC conversion rate you can get problems.

What sampling rates/speeds are you expecting?

If you have the choice and the budget can stand it I would choose the ADC10064 device.

microcare said:
Hello ppl

Plz help .

Why not just use a micro-controller with in-built ADC, including sample and hold?.

Hi , thanks fr ur suggestions,well .. the measurment and conversion both r asynchronous . The temp will b changing continuously and i want to collect the reading say after every 5 secs or so ..

microcare said:
Hi , thanks fr ur suggestions,well .. the measurment and conversion both r asynchronous . The temp will b changing continuously and i want to collect the reading say after every 5 secs or so ..

hi,
When you say .. the measurment and conversion both r asynchronous .
This would suggest that you take a 'reading' and sometime later you do the ADC conversion,,,
if thats the case, you need a sample and hold.

Remember, even with a sample/hold device, the hold time is finite, so do the conversion as soon as possible after the sample/hold.

To say, the tempr is changing continously isn't specfic enough to provide us with any information.
I would suggest that something like 'the maximum rate of tempr change is Cdeg /sec'..

A 5sec/sample rate is low and should not be a problem.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back