Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need expert help...for stepping motor project..

Status
Not open for further replies.

indika perera

so..i am a beginner to electronics..not having any kind of knowledge..about more advanced theories.. but i just wanted to build a computerized paper cutter (can use modified printer) using set of step motors..intention is to cut A4 sheet(printed-that means should cut at exact position) into few strips(may be 2 or 3) according to pre-determined sizes..if any one can help me to do that who is having good knowledge about parallel port programming and micro controllers plz help me..

thank you..

You may by able to use some of the stuff develiped for CNC machens. Look up "DIY CNC" Andy

You may by able to use some of the stuff develiped for CNC machens. Look up "DIY CNC" Andy

Thx..for the clue..i hope that kind of mechanisem will help for that..and also leser cutting can applied for that..i have tried to used old hp printer rollers..and other components but i realy surprised be' they are not using step motors to build that printer..only two pin DC motors..

so other new ideas and guidence are expected..

anyone can help me... plz

my aim ONLY is to cut A4 sheet into 3 pieces but at exact position...hopeing to use printer mechanisem but i need some sort of circuit to handle step motor through pc port..and also better way of identify paper position from top edge to cutting position..as same as printer does using sensor..i have no idea of how it works i.e how it measure next paper loading..and how to circulatory stop..just before the rollers taking the paper for printing.. then i can use seperately moving cutting blade as same as catridge moves..PLLzzz..Plzz..any idea..

You can do it mechanically if you justify the sheet to one side and cut it the other way.

it is not clear what y are saying..mate(sorry for my foolishness)...yes..no matter what so ever...it is mechanically or any thing...but issue is how can i accuratley measure the papers as what printer does...so i need a some sort of sensor system(as printer does) with parallel port programming to control step motor...i hope any one can give some curcuit instruction to do such thing......

Last edited:
You need to detect the leading edge of the paper and then count the steps that you move the motor that moves the paper.

printers normally using IR sensors to detect next paper loading..so that same theory can use for me but proper circuit has to be designed for detecting new paper and then rotate step motor according to my requirement..i'm thinking of a step motor controling tool that can move the motor step by step using a push button and (for first time to measure the distance of cutting position) then fixed that number of rotation for next time use...

Last edited:
hello..nobody..here to help me??????..anyone knows how printer sensor system works..
plz..give some links for step motor controlling module circuits and suitable computer tool for control step motor according to my requirement...Plzz.plzz

People have already helped you! See what 4pyros said in post #7.

Use an infrared sensor to detect the first (leading) edge of the paper.

If you pull apart any old bubblejet printer you can see how its paper sensors work and even use those sensors too if the printer is junked.

If you look at the bubblejet printer that has the DC motor you took apart to the back of the carriage you will see a plastic strip that looks grey, on careful inspection under a magnafier you will see this grey strip is actually lots of vertical black lines that a laser sensor counts as the carriage moves back and forth, there is also round discs on some shafts the same and i have used many pf these sensors for other applications (like in an anemometer), they are easy to use.
So you can use the old bubblejet with the DC motor and get better positioning than with a stepper motor.

The other method would be to build a cnc machine which i also have done that i use to construct circuit boards and do the drilling of those 100s of tiny holes.

With a cnc machine you would zero the corner of the paper and then set the X&Y coords to where you want the machine to travel to.
The easy way to do this is a premade stepper driver board that will allow for 3 axis, and they are rather cheap off ebay.
I have used several of them now and the plug direct into the parrallel port and work with standard cnc software like Mach3 etc.

As for the lead screws for a small cnc i used allthread as it is cheap and easy to work with.

Pete.

hello..

anyone can give me some good h-bridge motor driver and micro-controller circuit that can control reversible DC motor via visual basic or c++ language..

Last edited:
Yes..Mr.RB..i have seen that..but the prob. is i'am not a genius in electronic..if such person even i don't need this kind of forums..is n't it? but i'm a quick learner..and also never let down my expectation...THX for reply..

Yes..Mr.RB..i have seen that..but the prob. is i'am not a genius in electronic..if such person even i don't need this kind of forums..is n't it? but i'm a quick learner..and also never let down my expectation...THX for reply..

Last edited:
Hello..SABornThx..mate..yes..i moved to DC motor rather than step motor be' the printer(hp deskjet) which i used is also using such motor...i analyze it's functionality so that to control DC motor i have to use H-bridge controller to get reverse motion because the printer paper feeding mechanism need such reverse motion once the paper reaches the main puller rollers...the paper arrival identified using a IR sensor that activated when paper edge push down a small plastic lever. so i need to build a circuit that control DC motor direction according to IR signal and that motor also should be able to control via PC to identify correct position of paper cutting..(using C++ or vb)..that is way i'm finding a expert to fulfill my requirement...

Thx buddy...<indika>

If you look at the bubblejet printer that has the DC motor you took apart to the back of the carriage you will see a plastic strip that looks grey, on careful inspection under a magnafier you will see this grey strip is actually lots of vertical black lines that a laser sensor counts as the carriage moves back and forth, there is also round discs on some shafts the same and i have used many pf these sensors for other applications (like in an anemometer), they are easy to use.
So you can use the old bubblejet with the DC motor and get better positioning than with a stepper motor.

The other method would be to build a cnc machine which i also have done that i use to construct circuit boards and do the drilling of those 100s of tiny holes.

With a cnc machine you would zero the corner of the paper and then set the X&Y coords to where you want the machine to travel to.
The easy way to do this is a premade stepper driver board that will allow for 3 axis, and they are rather cheap off ebay.
I have used several of them now and the plug direct into the parrallel port and work with standard cnc software like Mach3 etc.

As for the lead screws for a small cnc i used allthread as it is cheap and easy to work with.

Pete.

which i used..

Attachments

• IMG0019A.jpg
    IMG0019A.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 135
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back