Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need ESR clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

On the matter of ESR:

these ESR curves:
**broken link removed**

Match what i see with my ESR meter. As frequency rises ESR drops generally.
Now what I am curious about is whether the ESR has to do with the rise times? A 1Khz freq. will show a poor ESR for a 100nF ceramic cap. But a 1Mhz freq. shows much better ESR.
In a1 Khz pulse application, is the ESR governed by the frequency or the RISE time (<100ns) of the pulse.?

In the ESR ratings of caps.....@ what freq & wave shape is used for testing, is there a standard?

Do you mean this formula?
Rise time in nS = 350/(bw in MHz) so a scope with 700 Mhz bw should have a 10% to 90% risetime of 1/2 nS.

It seems that ESR is dependent on dielectric and frequency. Otherwise it would just be the innate series resistance of the physical construction of a cap and not vary with frequency like impedance does. Is it true to say that when resonance occurs in a cap. then the remaining resistance is the ESR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back