Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need EEPROM reader/programmer don't know which one:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

arkadiyp

I am looking for an EEPROM reader that can read the following eeproms in-circuit 24c08, 24c01, 24c03, 93c46 all of those manufactured by ATMEL.

Also does anyone know how 24rf08 is different from 24c08, atmel site says they should be the same except for RF interface, however for some reason reading 24RF as 24C corrupts it.

Thank you.

arkadiyp said:
I am looking for an EEPROM reader that can read the following eeproms in-circuit 24c08, 24c01, 24c03, 93c46 all of those manufactured by ATMEL.

There are plenty of EEPROM programmers about, and they are quite simple to build yourself - the problem is your in-circuit prgoramming requirement. As I understand it the circuit in question has to be designed to allow this, many Sony TV's have a socket for reading/writing the EEPROM - one of the pins on this socket is used to disable the TV's internal uP allowing the EEPROM programmer to take over the bus as I2C master.

Nigel Goodwin said:
arkadiyp said:

There are plenty of EEPROM programmers about, and they are quite simple to build yourself - the problem is your in-circuit prgoramming requirement. As I understand it the circuit in question has to be designed to allow this, many Sony TV's have a socket for reading/writing the EEPROM - one of the pins on this socket is used to disable the TV's internal uP allowing the EEPROM programmer to take over the bus as I2C master.

What would happen if the circuit does not allow in-circuit programming? Will I damage the eeprom or the circuit or both?

arkadiyp said:
What would happen if the circuit does not allow in-circuit programming? Will I damage the eeprom or the circuit or both?

It shouldn't, all it will do is stop the bus working - as I2C uses an open collector bus it will just confuse things - you 'may' be really unlucky, and send a valid signal on the bus and corrupt something, but the chances are very low.

A common failure mode in TV's is one of the chips shorting the I2C bus out, replacing that one IC cures the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back