Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need easy-to-see, Wide Angle, backlit 2 line LCD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeMl

Most Helpful Member
I am building a PIC-based instrument which uses a 2 line LCD. I have it working with an el-cheapo surplus LCD (similar to this), but the viewing angle and contrast of the LCD is disappointing.

I would like to purchase a better, more readable LCD module with back-lighting.

What do you like?

Have you thought about a Vacuum Fluorescent display such as **broken link removed**?

Would work, except I would have to rewrite the program. My C compiler supports the HD44780 parallel interface, and the program is debugged. I'm not sure the processor even has the synchronous serial interface.

I don't have a link for you but there are similar ones with a HD44780 interface, the only thing missing is the contrast pin.

You would still probably have to make very slight changes to your program, however, to support things such as software brightness control.

Last edited:
Do I want "trans-reflective"? That one specifically mentions "white LED backlight". The one I have does not have backlight.

Sometimes you can get "large format" 16x2 LCD, I have a couple here and they have excellent viewing characteristics and green LED backlight. They are about 1.8 times the size of normal 16x2 LCD.

You might find some if you google around some surplus resellers.

Yes u want trans-reflective....makes it viewable in direct sunlight no glare reflected back.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
That is a bit steep, especially when you add the $20 handling charge...

btw- Thanks to everyone who offered ideas...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back