Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need drawing for 2 bass speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielsmusic

i have recently been given 2 big bass speakers maby 100w each i don't now it don't say on them.

i have a bass box wich has a bass speaker in i don't want to draw any more power from the bass box but is there a way of using a seperate power supply for these 2 speakers to run from my bass box?

am i thinking of a amplifyer.

i don't want to make it louder just add 2 more speakers

If you connect the two in Series, you will Add the Two Impedances, Thus Reducing Power.
If you connect the two in Parallel, they Will Draw more Power. Maybe Too much for your Amp.

While Both these changes can result in a Volume Changes, They are Only MINOR amounts of Volume Difference.

And IDEALLY Both these speakers should be Identical. "Same Speaker and Impedance".

To Comment Further, I would need to know More about these speakers and your Present amplifier.

i measured with my multimeter and the one in the bass box are 8 Ohm and the one that i want to put in is 6 Ohm.

the on i want to put in is about 150w i would say but i don't know for sure.

danielsmusic said:
i measured with my multimeter and the one in the bass box is 8 ohm and the one that i want to put in is 6 ohm.
You measured the speaker's DC resistance. Amplifiers don't apply a DC voltage to a speaker, they apply an AC signal to the speaker's AC impedance. A speaker with a 6 ohm resistance might have a 4 ohm impedance and overload your amplifier.

the one i want to put in is about 150w i would say but i don't know for sure.
Power ratings for speakers are very vague. It could be the peak instantaneous power rating but its continuous real power rating is less, maybe only 30W. Don't worry about the speaker's power rating since you won't be operating it at max continuously.

If you are going to replace the speaker in the box with another one, it might sound terrible. The dimensions of a box are supposed to match the detailed spec's of the speaker for it to sound good.

audioguru said:
danielsmusic said:
A speaker with a 6 ohm resistance might have a 4 ohm impedance and overload your amplifier.

Wrong way round! - the DC resistance will be LOWER than the AC impedance, so if it reads 6 ohms resistance it will be an 8 ohm speaker. A 4 ohm speaker will read about 3 ohms on an ohmmeter.

i have extra boxes for the speekers that match the dimentions of the speaker.

i just need to add extra power to it from my bass box.

Nigel Goodwin said:
audioguru said:
danielsmusic said:
A speaker with a 6 <a href="#">ohm</a> resistance might have a 4 <a href="#">ohm</a> impedance and overload your amplifier.

Wrong way round! - the DC resistance will be LOWER than the AC impedance, so if it reads 6 ohms resistance it will be an 8 ohm speaker. A 4 ohm speaker will read about 3 ohms on an ohmmeter.
You are absolutely correct, Nigel. I goofed. :oops:

danielsmusic said:
i have extra boxes for the speakers that match the dimentions of the speaker.
The box's internal volume must match the detailed spec's of the speaker.
If the volume is too small, the speaker/box combination will sound boomy without low deep bass. If the volume is too large then the combination won't have any bass and the speaker might be damaged.

i just need to add extra power to it from my bass box.
Power for the additional speaker probably must come from a new amplifier for it.
If you connect the additional speaker to the existing amplifier and bass box speaker then you will probably overload the amplifier.

yes, that is why i want to build one! and that is why i posted a topic here.

im not paying for a pricy 300w amp just for my bass speakers.

danielsmusic said:
yes, that is why i want to build one! and that is why i posted a topic here.

im not paying for a pricy 300w amp just for my bass speakers.

No disrespect!, but high power amplifiers are complicated (and expensive!) things to build - you could probably buy one cheaper?.

For some examples though, have a look at https://www.ampslab.com/projects.htm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back