Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need design help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Konikoff

I'm new here so go easy on me if I'm posting in the wrong area. I need to design a circuit. primarily for use on a motorcycle. I have installed RGB LEDs that are controlled with a Bluetooth controller. What I'd like to happen is any time the brakes are applied and the LEDs are on, I want all the LEDs to go red. There must be a way to do this. I have no problem having a PCB made and I have a guy to create the Gerber files. I need a person to design this. I had a gentleman named Steve Taylor from the UK who did this for me but I have lost touch with him

An RGB LED is three LEDs in the same package. You cannot change the colour of light emitted from an LED. Your only option is to only apply power to the red LED in the package.
Even just to do this you would need to provide more details of the existing setup. Bluetooth is only a means of communication so saying the LEDs are controlled by a bluetooth controller is as meaningless as saying they are connected with a piece of wire.

Les.

Last edited:
pls specify which rgb leds you have, also is that all you want to do , turn them red when breaks are applied? are they going to do anything else(fancy patterns)?

why not cut out the bluetooth circuitry and put leds right into break light circuit(make sure fuses and wires meet current demands, are leds 12volt? how many ..ect)?

where are you mounting these? I think there are led tail lights out there already that can be bought....

People cannot spell?
A motorcycle breaks when it slams into a wall, because the driver forgot to apply the brakes.
In Canada, it is illegal to change the lighting on a motor vehicle because kids were using cheap Chinese lights that were not bright enough or were too bright.

people!? my auto spell must need update!
Kinda thought there would be some law or another, good thing though , i dont like the bright lights, I wonder if under lights in parallel with tail lights would count, or if they need separate fuse, or what about a volt detector on breaks to see if power is going to lights?
also i have a feeling that op is doing more than a tail light, I mean why the Bluetooth?
I have no worry my car is such pos I wont even change stereo,
But thanks for keeping eye on us AG!

or maybe he wants these lights!

I have installed RGB LEDs that are controlled with a Bluetooth controller.

If I understand this correctly, you already have an LED controller you like. What you want is something that converts the brake light signal to the proper bluetooth commands to make the extra LEDs go all-red. Correct?

If so, is bluetooth the only interface available to your controller?
ak

If I understand this correctly, you already have an LED controller you like. What you want is something that converts the brake light signal to the proper bluetooth commands to make the extra LEDs go all-red. Correct?

If so, is bluetooth the only interface available to your controller?
ak
Thank you !! You got it!! Bluetooth controller works. I want to stick with it for a few reasons. number one is that the cheap remotes don't last and if you should happen to get one that does, you lose it. The LEDs are a 12v system and they are strips that vary from 12 to 24 inches. What I would like is, whatever the lights are doing at a given moment, when the brakes are engaged all the LEDs go to red

people!? my auto spell must need update!
Kinda thought there would be some law or another, good thing though , i dont like the bright lights, I wonder if under lights in parallel with tail lights would count, or if they need separate fuse, or what about a volt detector on breaks to see if power is going to lights?
also i have a feeling that op is doing more than a tail light, I mean why the Bluetooth?
I have no worry my car is such pos I wont even change stereo,
But thanks for keeping eye on us AG!

or maybe he wants these lights!
These are accessory lights. Nothing to do with the DOT lights required.

People cannot spell?
A motorcycle breaks when it slams into a wall, because the driver forgot to apply the brakes.
In Canada, it is illegal to change the lighting on a motor vehicle because kids were using cheap Chinese lights that were not bright enough or were too bright.
I'm not changing the lights. I'm adding accessory lights

pls specify which rgb leds you have, also is that all you want to do , turn them red when breaks are applied? are they going to do anything else(fancy patterns)?

why not cut out the bluetooth circuitry and put leds right into break light circuit(make sure fuses and wires meet current demands, are leds 12volt? how many ..ect)?

where are you mounting these? I think there are led tail lights out there already that can be bought....
These are accessory lights. so they are capable of changing color automatically or you can set them to whatever color you want. When the brakes are activated I want them to all go red.

An RGB LED is three LEDs in the same package. You cannot change the colour of light emitted from an LED. Your only option is to only apply power to the red LED in the package.
Even just to do this you would need to provide more details of the existing setup. Bluetooth is only a means of communication so saying the LEDs are controlled by a bluetooth controller is as meaningless as saying they are connected with a piece of wire.

Les.
I know a little bit about LEDs. I realize that there are 3 and sometimes four on a single die. I want the red one activated when the brakes are applied.

From your description in post #7 I think a 3 pole change over relay (With a 12 volt coil.) is the simplest solution. Connect each of the wires going to the three different coloured LED groups to the common contact of each of the 3 poles. Connect the wires that originally went to each colour group of LEDs to the normally closed contact of the corresponding pole. Connect a 12 volt supply to the normally open contact on the pole that deals with the red LEDs. Connect the relay coil to the brake light switch.

Les.

From your description in post #7 I think a 3 pole change over relay (With a 12 volt coil.) is the simplest solution. Connect each of the wires going to the three different coloured LED groups to the common contact of each of the 3 poles. Connect the wires that originally went to each colour group of LEDs to the normally closed contact of the corresponding pole. Connect a 12 volt supply to the normally open contact on the pole that deals with the red LEDs. Connect the relay coil to the brake light switch.

Les.
That looks like exactly what I am looking for. Simple and made with readily available parts. Thank you Les. appreciate the help

I should have said in post #12 that I have made the assumption that the common connection of the LED strips is negative and the connections for the individual colours is positive. (If it is the other way round then the normally open contact on the pole of the relay used for the red LEDs will connect to ground. (Negative.)

Les.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back