Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need bootloader for 18 pin PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

PicChristmas

I have a circuit designed with a 16f628 for Christmas Light control. The circuit has rs 485 serial connection. I would like to be able to use the controller for both stand alone and PC control. Everything is working I just need a way to change the top 1k of program memory as this is where the stand alone light patterns are stored. My question is can this be done thru the rs 485 link with the 16f628 or is the another 18 pin PIC that is pin compatible that I can use and how?

Thanks!

PicChristmas said:
I have a circuit designed with a 16f628 for Christmas Light control. The circuit has rs 485 serial connection. I would like to be able to use the controller for both stand alone and PC control. Everything is working I just need a way to change the top 1k of program memory as this is where the stand alone light patterns are stored. My question is can this be done thru the rs 485 link with the 16f628 or is the another 18 pin PIC that is pin compatible that I can use and how?

You certainly can't on a 16F628, and I've never noticed any other 18 pin PIC with bootloading capability either - although that's not to say there might not be one. I suggest you check the lists on MicroChip, you can select to view brief specs on all 18 pin PIC's.

Exo said:
The 16F819 is almost identical and has bootloading capability.

Thanks for the help everyone!
The 16F819 does not have a usart but I have decided to go with the 16f88. The 16f88 has processor read/write access to program memory. It is not 100% pin compatible but I can make changes to my board to make it work.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back