Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need an opinion..

Status
Not open for further replies.

si2030

Hi there,

I want to build a two stage non inverting amplifier with a digital potentiometer controlling both stages. The op amp is analog's AD8599 which can operate up to +/-15volts. The potentiometer is Analog's AD8402 which operates to a maximum votage of 5 volts.

I have created a spice simulation of this to check that the voltage doesnt exceed the potentiometer's specs. In the picture you can see two traces - both of which are significantly below 1 volt - each trace is taken just after each digital pot....

The other thing is that this particular pot runs off a single voltage rail... I note there are a number of dual rail potentiometers available (although much higher resistance)... given this particular application do I need a duel rail pot here...

so...

So based on this can I use this potentiometer in this scenario (given its 5 volt limit)... The spice modelling indicates the potentiometer wont exceed is rated maximum however I was wondering if an informed member might have a look and tell me if this will indeed work?

Kind Regards

Simon

Attachments

• spice circuit.JPG
    spice circuit.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 150
If I understood the datasheet (AD8402) correctly, the minimum voltage at any of the potentiometer terminals is 0 volts.. according to your simulation, the voltage goes negative.

Hi MisterT... I am assuming where it says "Voltage Range" under "Resister Terminals" = 0 - Vdd.. just read it... so I guess this means my spice model is erroneous... OK I shall look for an AC part from analog... Thanks for taking the time to have a a quick look..

Kind Regards

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back