Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need an IC that can control Chasing LEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

toxsick

Can you help select a IC for my requirement?

first ic would want to control either a LED or a transistor that powers several LEDs
i want it to be all channels on except 2 or 3 channels that sweep along the chain of leds...

thanks
Shaun

sorry.. no programming skills never tried it but have programmed software on a basic level at school but cannot remember much!

would it be possible to create a way to also make different programs based different conditions... eg: make 4 poles that is they have 12v on 1 of them it will run a special way!
I want to create a LED Diaplay with about 100+ LEDS the channels will be grouped into 3s so thats about 30 channels.

I want control of fading, randomness, and chasing to simulate (Stary night sky / chasing LINE of leds and FULL ON based on switches that are either HIGH or LOW)

I agree with Space Varmint. Everything you are talking about doing can be easily done with a 40 pin or less micro controller. I'm not sure how you would do everything you mentioned with standard ICs. If you figured it out, it definetly would be loads more complex than a micro controller. I suggest you start learning.

This page shows a few examples of basic chasing LED circuits with the results. Applications like this are easily done using a few discrete components and the number of LEDs can be easily increased using transistor drivers.

However when you start wanting fading, dimming and other effects with LEDs then things get a little more complicated. This is where PWM figures in for dimming and the only sensible and logical way to get these features is exactly as has been mentioned. That is the use of a micro controller. Using discrete components would be a complex mess. I also agree that a uC is the way this should be done.

Ron

thanks quietman.. that link was sexy!!!

any idea of how I could reverse so that off = on and on = off!!! include the fade effect!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back